Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
143 Posts
Winchester produced the Winchester 94 Wrangler "1894-1994" in 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 30-30 to celebrate the 100 years of the Winchester 1894. They also had a short run in 45 Colt which CDNN Investments carried.

You can find the Wrangler in 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt, 30-30, 32 Winchester Special and 38-55 Winchester. The 32 Winchester Special and 38-55 Winchester sported engraved receivers. The 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt and 30-30 sported the "1894-1994" on the receiver. The 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 30-30 with a clean receiver were a regular production for several years .

The Wrangler sported a 16" barrel and large loop lever.

It is not a commemorative. The 1994 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 CENTENNIAL 30-30 cal. sported an engraved blue receiver and a 20" half-round, half-octagon barrel. STANDARD GRADE 12000 mfg. $700 *

For $275.00 you made a good buy. You will find the Wrangler in the gun auctions and classifieds from time to time. I understand why you like it. I came across a Winchester 94 Wrangler I in 32 Winchester Special at a gun show at the local VFW about 18 years ago. It sported an engraved receiver (Western scenes), large loop lever, and 16" barrel. It caught my eye. I didn't have the money to buy it. I asked the guy if he would be interested in a trade for a Ruger Mini-14. I went to my truck and brought it to him. We traded. The sucker wound up with the Mini-14 and I walked away the prize. Never looked back. Since then I have purchased several Wranglers.

If you decide to try to spin and cock your Wrangler like John Wayne and Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) wrap a cloth around the front site. This will keep the front site from cutting your arm if you hit it. Also do it over a bed or couch. That way if you drop it it won't hit the floor. Your Wrangler should sport the cross bolt safety. Do it unloaded.

By the way it has a great psychological effect on people.:D

·
Banned
143 Posts
Once you perfected spinning the Wrangler in one arm switch over and work on spinning it with your weak arm. Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) could spin, cock and fire with both hands. If you ever watched the show they had two different versions in the opening of the show. That is where he quickly fired off 11 rounds because of that screw that hit the trigger as he brought back the lever. Then he spun his Winchester. In earlier versions he used his right arm and in the later versions he used his left. Even throughout the series he used both. BAD TO THE BONE.

I never really saw John Wayne spin and cock his Winchester with his weak arm in any of his movies. There was one movie (I do not remember the name) where he was shot in his strong arm by a pretty girl so it was OK. (Makes sense to me ;) ). It's the code of the West. He tried to spin it with his weak arm and couldn't. That doesn't mean that John Wayne couldn't. It just means that it would be a good idea to be able to shoot and use any firearm with both hands.

I have a Wrangler "1894-1994" in 30-30. I came across an engraver at a gunshow. The guy is pretty reasonable on his prices. I HOPE I can get the funds together to have it engraved with western scenes someday. About 300 bucks. But I have so many projects.

·
Banned
143 Posts

·
Banned
143 Posts
I just finished watching 2 episodes of The Rifleman. They come on here in Arizona at 1800hrs and 1830hrs. The opening scene had Chuck Connors blasting away and twirling his 92. If that was a "stand in" it looked just like him. I also saw him in the both shows using the 92 using his right hand/arm.

Last weekend I saw episodes with Mark as a teenager. In the opening scene it was Chuck Connors blasting away. This time he was using his left hand/arm.

It sure looked like Chuck Connors to me. I was watching very carefully. I know that they can do all kinds of magic with movies. But back then you could tell the difference when a "stand in" was doing the scene.

I know "stand in's" were used but it sure looked like Chuck Connors.

·
Banned
143 Posts
TIMBERWOLF,

On your "big loop" levers. What type of "big loops" do your levers have? Are the levers just like "The Rifleman's" that Chuck Connors used? Or like the John Wayne lever like on the John Wayne Commemorative and the Winchester 94 Wrangler's. Or like the levers that the Rossi 92's with 16" barrels were set up with?

I'm really interested to know.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Timberwolf,

I have both styles of levers on my carbines also. I prefer the SRC's with 16" barrels. But I have two 92 carbines. One Winchester 1892 and one Rossi 92 with 20" barrels. I've tried both type on them and they just do not look right to me. The only big loop that looks right (to me) is The Rifleman's Flip Special lever. I contacted Northfork Products http://www.northforkproductions.net/ and asked if they could sell me a lever. Nope.

So I was hoping you had a Flip Special lever on one of your rifles. If you did I was going to ask if you could trace the lever on paper and send it to me. But I have some pictures so I'll just have to figure it out.

Just in case. Does anyone out there have a big loop lever just like on The Rifleman's Flip Special? If so, can you send me a traced copy of it?

·
Banned
143 Posts
Buffalo Bob,

How is your twirling coming? Just wondering.

How do you like the Winchester furniture. If you like it a bit more ol' timey in the western style Precision Gun Stocks has a Cowboy Retrofit. Since you have the Wrangler and it's a saddle ring carbine the saddle ring carbine furniture would look great. I know. I am slowly refitting my SRC's. They also have different grades of walnut.

http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts