Shooters Forum banner

.45 ML's

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sneekypete 
#1 ·
Is there any companies out there that still make these? I've looked a bit on the web, but I can't seem to find any available.. In my state you can only hunt muskrat and mink with .45 ML's.. I have seen a few used ones on gunbroker.com in the past..

#3 ·
Either or.. Just SOMETHING I can hunt for pelts with.. I found a traditional type .32 cal on Traditions website. The Deerhunter .32... Has anybody had any experience with these? I also found out about the T/C Cherokee .32 which is out of production.. Maybe one of these will suit my needs. The Traditions seems to be the best possible choice in terms of availability.

#5 ·
The .45 might blow a pretty good hole in a pelt. If I were going after a pelt I would look for a .32 caliber or .36 caliber. If you can find a Renegade, get a Green Mountain Barrel with a 1-28 twist in .45 caliber. You could load it with some 180 grain bullets and shoot for the head. I have one of them barrels and mounted a scope on it. Very accurate.

#6 ·
I got a .50 Electra for Deer hunting. I just got that all ready to go.. I'm looking for a seperate pelt hunting gun, I think the .32 is gonna be my best option. The way it looks now, the Traditions Deerhunter .32 is gonna be my go to gun. It seems to be the easiest to obtain..

#9 ·
#10 ·
I just orderd the .32 Deerhunter that Traditions makes. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good roundball or Maxi that may work well with this gun? We got snow forecasted in the next few days, so the pelts are gonna get thicker in a hurry.. I have'nt looke around much, but what other accesories do I need for the .32 Deerhunter?

Thanks in advance:cool:

#12 ·
You're going to need a flask, .310 round balls, patch materials, lubed or spit if you prefer and precut or use a knife after starting. I have done some research and don't think there's anyone making .311 maxi's or conicals now. Closest I've seen is some conicals from Dixie gun works, but I don't believe they are in production any more, as the company doesn't list them on their page. Here's the links for the balls and conicals:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_311_313&products_id=3628
http://www.octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=32

You'll probably also want to get a capper for your percussion caps, because opening those little tins in the cold stinks. 8( I personally like speed loaders, but I don't know of anyone making a .32 cal version. You might purchase a small length of 1/2" pvc pipe and use two pvc end caps each to make your own. The black PVC is slightly thinner wall and may work better and I think it's more flexible also. You'll want an adjustable powder measure also and some good cleaning gear. I use dawn dish soap to clean my barrel once I get back from shooting the gun. Just knock out the pin locking the barrel down and lift the barrel up and to the rear after removing the ramrod. Traditions does make a little pin puller, but I haven't had an issue using the radiused edge of my swisstech tool and I use the little flat blade to pull it out once it's started. You might want to buy one for 2 bucks though. ;) Finally, you'll want a ball starter and I use a range rod to keep the one on the gun from getting worn out when shooting at a bench. TC makes a decent cleaning kit available at Wallyworld which doubles as a range rod, but they don't make it for .32 cal, so you will have to probably purchase different brushes and mops for cleaning as well as a jag for a .32 if you can find one. Lacking that, Traditions sells several different configurations of range rod and jags as well. Other than that, powder is probably most important. If you can get real BP, might want to go that way with FFFg for the small diameter balls. You will have nearly identical power and luck with Pyrodex P FFFg. There is also 777, but I've never used it in the small calibers, so maybe someone else has had experience with it. It does leave a crud ring so you need to clean after a couple shots in my experience or accuracy drops. One last thing might be a loading block. If you don't want to make your own speed loaders, you can tie one of these to your possibles bag strap and it will be easier than picking a ball and patch and loading manually in the cold. ;)

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=1&subID=193&styleID=978

#13 ·
Thanks for all the imput guys. I should get my .32 Deerhunter on thursday. I orderd the .32 cal Buffalo Ball-Ets from rmcsports.com and a box of T/C XTP Mag Sabots in 300 Gr for my .50 Electra. The Electra is ready to rock and roll for our Deer season on Saturday and I got some good badger sets scouted out near a Prarie Dog Town.. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.