Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved this from Wildcats:

I have been working with a Blackhawk with 45 ACP cylinder and found that 255 gr lead SWCs can be seated to a COL of 1.134 so that
the bullet shoulder is flush with the case mouth. 8.3 grs of Longshot delivers 1125 fps from the 4 and 5/8s inch bbl with no pressure
problems. This is over 700 FP, and unbelievably consistent over the chronograph.

It strikes me that a revolver with a very short cylinder and a 4 inch bbl would match the dimensions of some of the 3.5 inch snubbies out
there, and be a very useful duty/defense gun.

Because of the bullet shoulder, 230 gr XTPs need a COL of 1.18 inches, but clock 1250 fps with 11.0 grs of Longshot, again at safe
pressures.

The 45 stopper could be formed from shortened 45LC brass to eliminate chambering in an ACP firearm and offer lighter bullet weights...a
180 XTP could do over 1400 fps.

Any thoughts or comments? Are there any strong, compact frames out there that would fit a 1.2 inch long cylinder?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your round sounds great. Very good defensive stopping power in a compact package.

Would the little Taurus 455 in .45ACP be a good platform?

Fireplug

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fireplug -

Do they make a 455 now? I have a 445 in 44 special, and the cylinder length is almost a half inch longer than we need...it would work for a test bed, but would not be a true "Stopper" with the truncated cylinder.

Do you know how hot one cam load the Taurus snubbies? We are right at 30,000 CUP in the Blackhawk.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, they make a .45 ACP that they call the Stellar Tracker in at least two barrel lengths. I can not help beyond saying that it exists and seemed to be a nice handy little/big gun, since drooling over them at two shows has been the depth of my experience.

Fireplug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts