Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helllo. Been loading .38 HBWC's DEWC's and like the way they shoot and want to try them in my .45ACP and .45 Cattleman. Can't seem to find any cast bullets on any of the bullet sites. Who sells them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Larger bores have 'semi-wadcutter' bullets that has a 'shelf' that cuts a clean hole. They're longer than cylindrical 38 WCs.
45ACP uses 230 gr. semi-WC. I don't know of a similar bullet for the cattleman but I'm sure they exist.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,402 Posts
Might be a tough search to get a full wadcutter in .45, especially for a .45 ACP. The case just doesn't have much capacity and any wadcutter might be shorter than it was wide. Never mind the feeding difficulties in a semi-auto.

No idea why wadcutters didn't catch on for the .45 Colt; it certainly has the capacity to spare.

You might have to make a bullet mould / mold to satisfy your quest.......

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Don't know of any Wadcutters in 45 caliber, but I loaded and shot bajillions of the Lyman 452460 200 gr. SWC. I also remember shooting some 185 gr. in a SWC style, but don't remember the brand. Maybe a Speer or Lyman? Montana Bullet Works and Precision bullets have some nice selections of different weights.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
There were some molds (mostly Lyman) back in the day...and at least one commercial caster that would sell them (Mattsbullets). Were even cast HBWC's at one time.

Wide meplat SWC is pretty much the same effect ion target....the WC's just seat deeper and use less powder (due to less powder volume from the full WC)..

Not sure where you could buy some pre-cast bullets at this time....or if anyone still makes a mod for home-casters....but at short range, even at low speeds, the dead flat WC shape in .45 is pretty nice for targets or home defense use.

Not having shot 100 test subjects, that's mostly supposition...SWC might have done just as well

·
Super Moderator
13,747 Posts
Yep. Matts still has them.

It's funny that you could always buy 44 LWCs commercially cast, but not always find 45's. I suppose it comes from the tradition of using 44's in target shooting matches. Closer to 1900, there were a number of single-shot 44's available for match shooting. No 45s, though. IIRC, either Hatcher or Keith commented that a lot of the old 45's had shallow rifling and that lead bullets would often tumble coming out of them. Great for doing more damage at close quarters, but of little help on the target range.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
In the 45 Colt case, to reduce some of that large capacity for lighter loads, you could get a gas check design bullet and leave the gas check off and load it base forward (backwards) and crimp over the gas check 'ledge'. This gets you effectively a 'wadcutter' load with a case capacity closer to an ACP case.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Helllo. Been loading .38 HBWC's DEWC's and like the way they shoot and want to try them in my .45ACP and .45 Cattleman. Can't seem to find any cast bullets on any of the bullet sites. Who sells them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Here's what you're looking ww.sscastbullets.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
pennbullets.com offers a 225gr. wadcutter for 45 Colt. Full wadcutters in semi-autos don't usually feed well.

·
Super Moderator
13,747 Posts
Echo, echo, echo, …

1 - 11 of 11 Posts