Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting my 45ACP JM revolver today and was wondering if there is a Revolver out there in .45 Win mag?

If there isn't what would you think about a double action .45 win mag that would use moon clips like the .45 ACP revolvers?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The .45 Winchester Mag was a good idea. An 11 mm better than a 10 mm. Too bad AMT was about the only one who ever paid attention to it. The 10 mm is
hanging on and I doubt the .45 mag will ever make a comeback. Too bad. Your idea is sound - would need a gunsmith to make it work. A 260 grain Partition at 1,300 fps would work on just about anything.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I have a friend with an LAR Grizzly in .45 Win Mag, it is quite powerful. It is as powerful as a .44 Magnum. He loads his down a little bit, but they still roar. The 625 can not take the pressure of the 45WM, the same gun in 45 Colt is rated for standard loads only and will not take the Ruger Only loads.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I would think that a Ruger Redhawk chambered in 45LC would suit the bill for that modification, but, the 45LC in the Redhawk can produce some outstanding numbers....maybe well beyond what the 45 Win Mag could offer. Neat idea, but in all practicality, and considering that most guns available for that type of modification could not withstand the pressures...........well, you make the call.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Some body did try it, few years ago one of the smaller companies that where doing the SA's with the cylinder that would shoot several like rounds had one that the Win mag would work in, can't remember if it was based on a Ruger Black hawk or the Seville

Like my win-mag have a 10 incher for the TC, have taken a few hogs with it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The Win mag is still listed by Magnum Research under their Precision Center BFR. I seem to remember Freedom Arms offering the .45 Win in an optional cylinder for their .454's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 45 Win mag was designed to be used in a semi auto pistol. For this reason most if not all factory ammo is loaded with full metal jacketed bullets. Not the best for hunting or stopping power. Like another person stated, the 45 Colt in a strong gun like the ruger Redhawk could out perform the 45 WM. I wouldnt re invent the wheel on this one:D

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
If you want to have speedy reloads, the Redhawk or Super Red Hawk uses HKS speedloaders and that would be much cheaper than having a gun custom chambered and set up for moon clips.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
look at 460 rowland ,45 win mag in 45acp brass [almost].

I don't think I would fire the 460 rowland in my 1955 Smith, I think I will just stick to .45 A.C.P. and .45 Auto Rim.

I did however see a 1950 Smith Target that was converted to .45 Win Mag. The owner said he was told by the previous owner that a .44 Mag cylinder was used in the conversion, but he didn't know who did the conversion. Don't know if I would trust that conversion with anything but .45 A.C.P. or .45 Auto Rim.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Over the years there have been several single action revolvers chambered in .45 WM. I recall the great Hal Swigget doing a review of one.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
One could take a Redhawk or Super Redhawk in 45 Colt and modify the cylinder for the use of th moon clips and set it up shoot both 45 Win Mag and 45 Colt out of the same cylinder.
Don't really see any real advantage though

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are some neat replies here, I do like moon clips and how cartridges all go in and come out together. When my brother in law comes up with his Springfield XD I can spend more time shooting than loading. I can load about 100 rounds of ACP in moon clips.

I'm not sure if a moon clip would slip around a 45WM case either. With the Colt going strong and other big hand gun cartridges I suppose a manufacturer wont produce some thing like a 45 WM on clips but I think would like to one.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are some neat replies here, I do like moon clips and how cartridges all go in and come out together. When my brother in law comes up with his Springfield XD I can spend more time shooting than loading. I can load about 100 rounds of ACP in moon clips.

I'm not sure if a moon clip would slip around a 45WM case either. With the Colt going strong and other big hand gun cartridges I suppose a manufacturer wont produce some thing like a 45 WM on clips but I think would like to see one.

The word "manufacturer" made me think about this in maybe a more practical way. You know like who would buy it and if someone could make money offering it to the public. I guess I would see the 45 Win Mag as a alternative to the .44 Rem Mag. I'm not nessasarliy going to buy a 460 or a 500 Remington because I don't want the recoil and the extra noise from porting. But I think a good shooting 45 WM could have alot of uses, it can shoot heavier bullets than a 44 for hunting. It could shoot 45ACP and Auto Rim too. If you wanted to compete with a double action you could go after the chickens, turkeys, pigs and rams in silheoutte (spelling) in 45WM, and use the same revolver for pin shooting in 45 ACP. Or some of the other speedy or timed competitions? I would think a large framed revolver shooting the lighter ACP stuff would stay pretty flat for the quick shooting.

Maybe a con would be trying to get bulged or tight cases out of the cylinder from over loading because you'd be trying to get all 6 cases out together? ( I never done that with my Contender he he he )

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Dan Wesson M460 (blue) and 7460 (stainless) chambered the .45 Win Mag and also fired the .45 Detonics Mag, .460 Rowland and .45 ACP using full-moon clips. The .45 Colt Dan Wesson could be loaded to Linebaugh pressures though.
Clements offers a rechambering/barrel boring of the Ruger GP-100 to 10mm. Personally, I don't see why a 10mm Magnum can't also fit if the chamber is lengthened. The 10mm and the 10mm Magnum operate at the same pressure level and the cylinder is certainly long enough.
Clarke offeres a rechambering of the S&W 625 to .460 Rowland; but again, I don't see why the .45 Win Mag isn't just as suitable if the chamber is cut for it. Again, the .460 Rowland and the .45 Win Mag operate at similar pressures. Perhaps it's a case of cylinder length in this revolver though.
Ruger used to offer a .45 Win Mag cylinder for the Blackhawk.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sorry Crossfire, Ruger never offered an extra cylinder in .45 Win mag, only .45 ACP. When asked, Ruger would also refuse to chamber or re-chamber any cylinder for the mag. I tried then on when the .45 Win first came out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Honestly I thought they did. I must have another SA manufacturer in mind.

EDIT: Yep, it was. North American Arms .450 Magnum had a .45 Win Mag cylinder option. Hey, they look kinda like a Ruger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
45 win mag revolvers

I was shooting my 45ACP JM revolver today and was wondering if there is a Revolver out there in .45 Win mag?

If there isn't what would you think about a double action .45 win mag that would use moon clips like the .45 ACP revolvers?
there are a few converted ruger blackhawks out there for sale out of texas but you can go to bowen arms & get a 5 shot cyl or an un-fluted 6 shot cyl in 45 win mag. use a blackhawk, bisley & vequaro models are slimmer frames like ssa & won't hold the pressure. lar grizzly makes an auto in this too. looks like a stretched out 1911. rhineland arms used to make barrel & mag well kits to convert a mauser 98 or enfield rifle to shoot this round feeding straight stack from m1 carbine mags. i put one together, luv it! some one also makea an enfiels conversion ready made called a delist carbine. magnum research also makes a "BFR" series of large revolvers in large cal's like 444 marlin, 45-70 & i think 45 win mag. all on the web. keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
262 Posts
look at 460 rowland ,45 win mag in 45acp brass [almost].
And that is why the 45 Win Mag is dying.

I have shot enough 460 Rowland loads with 45acp brass to know that power is easy, recoil is hard.

I have a 45 that I changed the recoil springs from the stock 12 pounds to 42 pounds. That got the pistol tuned up fine for 45acp +P, but the 460 Rowland loads are still slamming the slide into the frame. Never mind wearing out the pistol, this can wear out the hand.

--------------------------

In a revolver, I have found that 45acp can be loaded to 1.4" OAL, and at 20kpsi, it gives 44 mag like performance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are shooting the 460 Rowland w/o the spring set and compensator you will shoot a good 1911 apart. It's not just a matter of installing a heavier spring. The specially designed compensator is part of the package for a reason. Springs alone won't properly control the slide and you'll batter your pistol in short order. Properly set up and loaded it is about the most power you can get out of the 1911 platform. More power than the 45Super or the 10mm, but you need that comp to do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts