Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would any of you chaps happen to be playing with one of these ?
I found a really nice Ruger#1 in 450/348 AI along with dies and since having a good supply of 348 brass for my M71, just couldn't resist. :)
I'm thinkin perhaps I can use 450 Alaskan load info to start because the Ackley version is a tad bit more.
Any suggestions/tips will be greatly appreciated.
This has been posted on a couple other forums, but has generated very little response....maybe I'm the only crazy guy on here ?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
450 Alaskan

Great find and congratulations.

Very excellant cartridge with ballistics much like real world 458 Win Mag. In a model 71. I remember thinking I was losing fillings after pulling the trigger. Think in your setup its going to be similar. Also remember having to put a pad between my jaw bone and the buttstock to stop bruising of my check from the stock slap.

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w450alask.html

Neal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 338 H, checked out the site you mentioned.
I'm hoping to take it Bison hunting early 2010, should do the job with a heavy bullet as the range will likely be no more than 200 yds. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
PO Ackley said that the 450 Alaskan was an overall better cartridge than his 450X348. However, that is
because he was thinking about the two cartridges in lever actions. Feeding is better with the Alaskan-
and even better with the 450 Fuller. No internal action work with the Alaskan.

Since you have a Ruger No 1-there will be no issue and you can tailgate the 458 WM with handloads.

{I like 10 yr old threads-having a gun and a badge; and our new President}

1 - 6 of 6 Posts