Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, it seems i've been bitten by the big bore bug. problem is which one? does anyone have ballistics on the 450 ackley mag. with 400 gn. hardcasts? also is this cartridge "IMPROVED' or just fire formed. also if anyone has any info on the 450 rigby ballistics i would appreciate that also. trying to find ballistic data on these wildcats is very difficult at times, i know this much power is not needed, but that is not the issue. thanks everyone, halfbreed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Like you I was hit by the same bug some years ago seems the rash keeps getting worse too. I dont know about the 450 Ackley, which is nothing but the .375 Ackley Mag necked up to .458, didn't have access to that reamer so went the .450 Dakota instead which is just a .416 Rigby Improved. Only glitch is Don Allen made his case a few thousands smaller at the base so to use Norma 416 brass you have to turn the base down a bit. My rifle has a 20" barrel which was originally chambered in .458 Win so have direct comparisons in the same barrel. In .458 Win max load with the 350gr Barnes X over 70gr. H4198 yield was 2550fps. In the Dakota max load was 110gr IMR4320 for 2728fps with the same 350gr X bullet. Don't know your intended use but I have no quarrel with the Barnes bullet, everything hit has laid right down with real good leak holes in them.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lib, thanks for the quick reply. i am thinking more in favor of the 458 ackey.smaller receiver, stainless barrel, receiver,syn stock. however at this point why not go all the way? same money. i've allways wanted a big bore, to shoot fairly long range targets. i don't ever plan to go to africa. but must admit alaska does look very good. i know this rig is "too big " for anything up there, that said, i have met a man who was chewed on pretty badly by a brownie. his only advice was IF you go, pack the biggest rig possible. he still has nightmares. i have no machining skills so turning the base down a bit does not sound good to me. maybe some details on equipment, techniques would clear this up. if this is just a simple little thing, sounds good. do you know if the 450 rigby uses standard brass just necked up. thanks for your reply again, halfbreed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Halfbreed,
I don't know what you plan for a basis for this rifle but the easiest way would be a Ruger #1 in .458 then your smith could just rechamber this would take care of any feeding problems. If you feel that you require a repeater a stainless Winchester will accept and feed the Rigby case with less work than most, any magnum action will work with minimal rework: open bolt face, take block out of magazine, regrind bolt stop no big deal. If you really want the most bang for your buck the 450 Rigby or Dakota will neck up to 50 cal and have adequate shoulder for positive headspacing. I've found the only thing better than a 458 is something in 50. Just one thing: hold on tight.
Good hunting
     Lynn

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lib, a repeator is definatly the way i will go. it will be a rigby (cz).just to show of my ignorance a little, are all cz 550 receivers the same length? or are they caliber specific? if they are the same then it would seem best to get a 458, then have it reamed for the 450 rigby. i think i will pass on the .50 anything! hold on tight or not. i think i will be calling my proposed "smith" soon to hash this out. thanks for the feedback, halfbreed

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Halfbreed,
Wildcat Cartridges Volume II has data for about 30 loads for the 450 Ackley.  4 loads are for the 400 grain Speer using IMR 3031 and IMR 4064.  Also 9 loads for 393 grain Lyman 457483 using SR 4759 and several flavors of IMR.  There are quite a few loads for 500 gr Hornady and 520 Lyman 462560.  I can scan this and email to you if you want, it'll be Monday before I get a shot at the scanner though.

These loads were tested in a "dressed up" Enfield and a 24" barrel.  Recoil photos are added.  Looks quite ferocious.  The article is written by Gil Sengel.  Looks to be quite a bit of good info on the rifle and the loads.  Let me know if you want a copy of the article and/or the load data.

Dick Egolf also has an article in the same book called "Modernizing the 450 Ackley Magnum".  He has some load data, but not as much as Sengel's article.  Egolf used a Model 70, but says any action in standard magnum length will work.  I can get a copy of this to you too, if you are interested.  Let me know.

Good luck on the project.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alyeska338, thank you for the reply, and offer to e-mail this data and articles. i would appreciate this information very much. trying to get answers around here to any questions about big bore rifles is next to impossible. there answer is allways something like, if my 270 with 150 grainers can't do it, then i don't need it. however 12 gauge, #8 is perfect for quail. go figure.thank you for the time and effort in sending this material. halfbreed

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
No problem, be glad to help out.  I don't know how old the original articles are, but the book was published in 1992, I'm sure the articles were written several years, if not decades before.  Both men seemed very pleased with the cartridge and the rifles that they had built for them.  Both claimed near MOA accuracy and lots of energy increase over the 458 Winny, nearly equaling the 460 Wby.  Things may have changed since their writings, I don't know.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
halfbreed,
If you do a search at www.google.com for 450 Ackley Magnum, you can link to several sites that have load info for that cartridge.  A couple that I just browsed through are:
http://www.accuratereloading.com/450ackleymag.html
and
http://stevespages.com/458_6_400.html

There appeared to be quite a few others.  You may want to go to the root site (ie, www.accuratereloading.com and www.stevespages.com) and link from there.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alyeska338,i saw the data at accurate reloading. i post there as well.there are some knowledgable and friendly folk there as well. i have done "ask jeeves" searches but pretty much came up empty. i had not tried a google search. thanks for the tip. halfbreed

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
halfbreed,
This kind of off the topic, but you had mentioned about coming up to Alaska to hunt moose or bear.  Give me a holler while you are in your guide selection process.  No, I'm not a guide, but know quite a few of them.  Most are excellent and have really good areas, but there are a few you would do well to stay away from.  Non-residents are required to have a licensed guide for brown or grizzly bears, sheep and mountain goats.  If you are looking for really big coastal brownies Kodiak, Afognak Islands are great places.  The area around Cape Suckling eastward to Yakutat holds some outsized brownies too.  The are around Dillingham, Katmai, Cold Bay are really good.  There are alot of brownies on the ABC islands in southeast but they tend to be a tad bit smaller on the average than the southcentral or southwest bears.  Please salvage the meat for consumption, unless the bears have been feeding on salmon (fall hunts).  If they've been feeding on berries or are just out of the den (and not feeding on carrion) brownies, grizzlies and black bear are very tasty.  Alot of people will tell you otherwise, but I've eaten alot of brown bear that was just out of hibernation and some that were killed in the fall in a berry patch and it is really really good.  These animals are just too majestic not to use them as completely as possible.  Much too majestic for just a rug or a mount in my very personal and humble opinion.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alyeska338, i hope to get up to alaska in a couple years, i would love to be able to move up there somewhere, possibly between anchorage and fairbanks. the only drawback is the high humidity and expenses of shipping. i.e. cost of living. i would love to hunt moose and b. bear. i have too much respect for any animal that can weigh over 800 lbs, and can stalk in so close to it's prey. to hunt it. unless it needed to be destroyed for obvious reasons. then i would participate freely. my opinion is, if i kill it, i eat it. including roadkill. unless it would spoil before i could take care of it. my wife and i have dreampt of ak for many years. we will get there someday no doubt. we both love to fish and camp, she also helps me work with game animals. which is really cool. halfbreed

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Great.  If you have any questions, just holler.  It is pretty dang expensive up here, no doubt about it, but it's all relative.  Pay scales are adjusted.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to all who responded, thank you all very much for your time and knowledge! i ordered a 550 safari 458 wm. this should do for a while, then IF, i need -or want more power, i can allways rechamber for the 460 g&a. and yes i've heard pros and cons about the shoulder being too small for proper headspacing. however the 450-460 vincent is the same cartridge practically. it is shown at accurate reloading. 404 j, necked up to 458. now to start looking for the right molds and loads. 450 LBT or wfn both w/gc sounds about right. thanks halfbreed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts