Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the .450 Alaskan today.  What a rifle!  It is a Browning 71 that has been rebarreled with a 25" barrel to .450 Alaskan.  The barrel is considerably heavier that the .348 barrel, but, with the additional material missing from the interior, it balances very well.  There is a Williams Foolproof receiver sight installed and a front ramp, which I suspect came from the original barrel.  It is not new, but I have found only a small dent in the forend to show that.  Nice rifle!  It has a steel buttplate, which the gentleman indicates is uncomfortable with the heavier loads.  I can believe that!

And the cartridge!  The gentleman sent 2 cases, just to show what it is.  WOW!  The base is about the same size as the 404 Jeffery and 2.145" long.  It is considerably larger than the .45-70 and very impressive.  I have ordered some brass, so am awaiting delivery from Buffalo Arms.

This is going to be fun!

dclark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dave,

I see from your thread your ready to get the 450 AK on line.

If you have not collected load data for the 450, and you want to start with a heavy, try 67 grains of 3031 behind a 400 grain Speer. This load gave me 2150 fps average thru a chronograph. This works out to 4100 + foot/lbs of energy.

You might get a little more 3031 into the case, as some of the load data I have shows this to possible.  I'm not suggesting you do this do to possible liability problems, but the load data is out there.

The recoil is a bit stiff with this load from the bench, and I suggest you have a firm grip on the stock, as the trigger finger takes a real beating.

I'm sure you could well approach 458 Win. Mag load figures with just a little bit heaver loads. However, any N. American game animal would never know this difference.

If you need load data for this round, I have collected a very large amount form various periodiodicals, and would be glad to share it with you.

By the way, I already miss the "71".

Good shooting,
Roger

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roger,

I appreciate the information.  I have ordered brass so should be able to try this out when it arrives.  I am going to try that load of 67 gr. 3031, as it is about where I would like to wind up.  

I am curious about the overall length you seated that bullet.  This rifle definitely has a limit as to the length that will fit through the loading gate, as all lever actions do.  I discovered that with the Remington 400 gr.

I'm sorry you miss 'er, but she is in good hands.  Thanks.

dclark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dave,

Your going to find that you will need to seat the bullet all the way to the cannelure so proper crimping will be acheived.

The loading of this big round into the loading gate will tax your fingers. The magazine spring is very stiff in this rifle. Just push hard and they will pop in.

As for primer insertion into the case: Be very careful in cleaning out the primer pocket. The primer must be seated all the way into the pocket.
This will leave the primer a few thousands lower than the face of the case head. This is necessary for the prevention of magazine detonation.

With rounds loaded hot, I did not place more than one round into the magazine at a time. You may be a little more comfortable with this procedure then me as you apparently load 348's.

Good luck,
Roger

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is a most interesting thread. Being somewhat of a Neanderthal I'm unfamiliar with the 450 AK. It's based on the 348 WCF which was derived from the 50-110 WCF. Hmmm. I have used almost the same load in my 84 yr old 45-90. The only difference being the 400 gr Speer. I use the 350 Hornady RN or FN. and 64.5 of 3031. It's quite a "boomer" with this load,hard on the shoulder, but accurate. I need to break down and buy a chronograph in order to determine velocity and energy. Sounds like you're in for some fun on this one. Keep us posted on the results. I might just need another levergun.
                                   Cheers, mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,

Actually, the .450 Alaskan has almost the same case capacity as the .45-90.  It is my understanding that Harold Johnson did not use the .45-90 case to get the extra power he wanted because at the time (1952) the .45-90 brass had been discontinued by the factory.  The .348 brass was readily available.  The pressures that are being achieved in either case are probably limited only to the level of .348 (44,000 cup) out of convenience asnd deference to the 1886s.

We will keep posting as we develop the loads.

dclark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here's a message I got that someone might be interested in:

Hey Muleskinner: See post #91474 on the Rifle page of this site. I have 20 rounds of 50 Alaskan loaded by DKT Inc. 1-800-741-7083. It's pushing a 450gr FN-SP @1850fps. If you can use them I'll send them to you. Happy trails.

http://www.DKTINC.com

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Mule,

I'm interested, but "can't get there from here."

Get 'em, and I'll pay any charges.

dclark

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mule,

I'm interested, but "can't get there from here."

Get 'em, and I'll pay any charges.

By the way, did you send me a check for that sight?  I have not received anything.

dclark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had already ordered a sight on order from Lyman for the 71.  Gonna wait to see how I like it before getting one for the '95.  Might go with the Williams.  The '95 has to be drilled and tapped.  There's a little ridge on the receiver that might cause problems.  Need to make sure.  Will get the Alaskan rounds and send them on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I got the brass for the .450 Alaskan, so today I loaded a series of loads (2 each) to work up to the recommended load of 67 gr. of 3031 behind a 400 gr. Speer.  I am using the 405 Remington bullet and it reached the 67 gr level with no problem.  I did not put in on paper, but will do so probably tomorrow.

The recoil is not bad.  About the same as my No. 1 45-70 with the heavy loads and the 405's.  I shot the rounds from a standing position, so the steel butt plate did not play a significant role.  Tomorrow from the bench may be a different story.

dclark

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got to chronograph the .450 this morning, but did not shoot for groups.  65 gr 3031, 405 Rem bullet travels at 2020 fps and KICKS!  In order to shoot groups I am going to have to use a sand bag between me and that steel butt plate.  I can shoot it offhand easily, but that benchwork is more than I can tolerate.

I will load some additional loads and do this again.

dclark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts