Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone developed any loads using the 440 gr. LN GC bullet available from Cabelas.  I tried reducing the 45-70(modern rifle) loads that came with the bullets 39.5 gr. H-4195 to 38.5, but that load is showing primer cratering.(spelling ?)

If anyone has worked with these bullets PLEASE let me know what you have worked-up.

Thank You,
Marty Brown

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Marty,

Try using 46.0g of RL-7, using a WLRP and Hornady brass.  This load is very stabil and nowhere near maximum, generating about 1750 fps in your application for the .450 Marlin.

Hope this helps, let us know what you find!

God Bless,

Marshall

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I altererd this post from its original content, in that I has mis-stated brass requisites for this load... I was also formulating in my mind a reply to another post while typing this one, and went on "auto-pilot" typing what I was thinking at the time, rather than what I meant.  My apologies for any confusion I may have caused!</span>

<!--EDIT|Marshall Stanton|Feb. 21 2002,13:44-->

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall,
I was starting to wonder if this had become the 444 Marlin board(LOL) since I have been gone.

Sorry about using those other bullets Marshall, but I just couldn't wait to shoot some cast bullets out of my 1985M.

Thanks,

Marty

·
Registered
48 Posts
450 MARLIN CASES DONT HAVE AS MUCH CASE CAPACITY AS A 45/70. STICK WITH 405 GR. REM BULK IF YA WANNA GO HEAVY. THIS BULLET WILL DO ANYTHING THIS GUN /CTG. IS INTENDED FOR WITH FLYING COLORS AT TOP LOAD LEVELS. 405 REM BULK ARE 1/2 THE PRICE OF OTHER JACKETED BULLETS AND ARE JUST AS GOOD. 53 GR. OF H322 WILL DROP ANYTHING ON THIS CONTINENT WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AT SHORT TO  MODEATE RANGE

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks WHCKMSTR1,

Could you give me the specs. of that load.  I would like to give it a try.

Thanks,
Marty

·
Registered
48 Posts
Read Realguns.com , Mike Venturino and John Taffin articles . Go to Yahoo and punch in 45/70 loads and 450 marlin loads and you will get this data and lots of great tid bits on these 2 guns and cartridges

·
Registered
14 Posts
What a confusing thread!

The 450Marlin and 45/70 are very dissimilar in many ways.  Their individual loadings must be kept seperate.

For example, the only available brass for the 450 is from Hornady.  Starline does not manufacture 450 Marlin brass.

There is no published data for the 450 Marlin using the Rem 405g JSP.  The closest data available is for the 400g Speer, which has a maximum charge of 52.5g of H322.  I only load these to 52.0g as, for me, accuracy drops off with the 52.5g load.

The 450 has 93% of the case capacity of the 45/70.  When using 45/70 load data, the maximum could be reduced by that factor to arrive at a GUESS for the max load in the 450 Marlin. (Note that this method assumes pressure and load density are related and similar between the two cartridges)  In the case of the 440 LBT, 36.7g of H4198 would be my MAX.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Studdog,

Confusing indeed.

Some of the members may have noticed our friend Mr. Whacky (Whckmstr1, whckmstr, etc.) spewing forth all sorts of garbage over the last few days, somewhat reminding me of a burning Kuwaiti oil well after the gulf war.  Some of it was actually useful, much was not, and plenty of it was foul and vulgar.  If you did not see examples of the last category, consider yourself fortunate.  The moderators have been working to clean up the mess.

Our friend has been asked to stay off the forum, and we hope to avoid this sort of behavior in the future.  In the meantime, should anyone see a post that contains information that may be confusing or incorrect, please don't hesitate to speak up.  Even the best of us make mistakes and typos now and then.

Suggested load data should always be compared to information published by the bullet and powder companies, and as you note, worked up carefully.

FYI any .450 Marlin shooters out there should be sure to check the Hodgdon web site (www.hodgdon.com) as they have load data for this relatively new round available there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Studdog and MikeG.
I have been away from this board for a while.  

I AM very hesitant to use ANY load info unless I get several confirming loads, and anyone who does not give "the specs." for a given load should be held in question.

I felt that Marshalls load was the best to start with.

Thanks for the % on the case capacity, I did not know that number.

I wish Hodgdon would put out some cast bullet info for some of the heavier cast bullets.
Marty

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't tried any cast bullets yet, but I have given the Rem 405g JSP a bit of a workout.

I used the Hodgdon web data, substituting the Rem 405g for the Speer 400g and used a 2.550 COL

With 51g of H322 I get 1815fps at the muzzle.
With 52g of H322 I get 1855fps at the muzzle.

At 50yds I get an average of 7" of penetration with 93% weight retention and a bullet expanded to 1"--this is into a bucket of wet sand.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You 450 shooters need to make sure your info makes it in LoadSwap so you can start building a data Base................................Marko

1 - 12 of 12 Posts