Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decide (for now), I'm good with my .300 WM, but I've always had a hankering for a .45-70, and I really wanted a .450 Marlin when they came out.

With handloads, is the .450 still better than the .45-70 ? I know they are slow moving 458's, but would a .45-70 stop a mad grizzly?

I've also kinda-sorta been wanting a .338 MX. So let's talk about some Lever guns.

The .45-70 I want is the Trapper model or the 1895 SBL. Anyone have one of those?
The Trapper has a 16.5" barrel. Talk about handy!

Thanks fellas

Here is a .450 Marlin I'm looking at. Could you take the 6 round mag tube and fit it to this gun? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/835828853

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't think there is much difference in performance between a full house 45-70 reload and a 450 marlin. If I remember correctly, the whole idea was to get maximum 45-70 performance with factory ammo. Nobody was loading anything hot for the 45-70 at that time, well maybe Buffalo was, but hornady had not gotten into the hot lever loads at that time. The 450 allowed the person who does not reload to get reloaded 45-70 performance.

I have a short barreled big loop 1895. Very nice rifle. I find myself carrying it more than the 22" 1895. Not sure why. It just seems to balance well. I don't really like the guide guns as they have a straight grip. I have never really liked a straight grip. That is why I was so happy when I found an 1894 PG in 44Mag.

I am sure you could change out the tube, but you would have to find one and then cut another dove tail in you barrel I suppose.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there is much difference in performance between a full house 45-70 reload and a 450 marlin. If I remember correctly, the whole idea was to get maximum 45-70 performance with factory ammo. Nobody was loading anything hot for the 45-70 at that time, well maybe Buffalo was, but hornady had not gotten into the hot lever loads at that time. The 450 allowed the person who does not reload to get reloaded 45-70 performance.

I have a short barreled big loop 1895. Very nice rifle. I find myself carrying it more than the 22" 1895. Not sure why. It just seems to balance well. I don't really like the guide guns as they have a straight grip. I have never really liked a straight grip. That is why I was so happy when I found an 1894 PG in 44Mag.

I am sure you could change out the tube, but you would have to find one and then cut another dove tail in you barrel I suppose.
I don't like straight grips either. That's why I want the pistol grip style. I just wonder how velocity will be with a 16.5" barrel.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't like straight grips either. That's why I want the pistol grip style. I just wonder how velocity will be with a 16.5" barrel.
I shoot the same load in both. I have never ran either across the chrono, but I do know there is a significant change in the trajectory at distance. So losing the 4" of barrel is having a significant impact, but unfortunately I don't have any data.

Edit
If I make it onto the range today, I will find out.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have a Marlin 1895M, the recoil with Hornady "Custom" 350grnfp is STUPID!, you'll never keep a whole mag full on target in a rapid fire situation!, I don't believe that I've ever shot it more than six shots in one day and only three at a time then!?

Reactions: glockman55

·
Registered
17 Posts
As far as hunting goes the 450 and 45/70 are peas in a pod. What one will do, the other will do just as well.

Yes either will stop grizzly bears, easily IF you hit them right. Just about any cartridge from the 308 on up will too, if you do your part. I've personally killed two grizzlies with the 45/70, and quite a few more with much smaller calibers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts