Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys here's one I thought of today. With the new 1886's why not neck a 50-110 down to 45 like the Alaskan or Ackley version of the 348 necked up.  The 348 was based on the 50-110 case cut down so it got me to thinking.....Anyone ever heard of something like this?  Anyone ever rebarrel a modern 1886 to 50-110 and load it to modern pressure levels?  A lever action Elephant gun hmmmmmm......

·
Banned
554 Posts
We call it the 450 Ultra Alaskan.  The gun is based loosely on a Marlin Guide Gun, but I modified it with a M1917 tripod for range work and a hitch for my ATV.

I used it last week on a 3 point (21 Eastern) whitetail.  After the concussion, the 650 grain cast WFNGC caught the buck at point of aim, the off shoulder.  

I think.  I found some cut hair, one antler.  The rest carried off in a pink cloud.

It would be a fine elephant gun, but I didn't see any last Saturday (don't have a tag for them, anyway).

Charlie

(Sorry, I really couldn't help myself).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Garth

I am afraid this is another WHY question.  The .450 Alaskan is already a marginal cartridge for the 71/86 Wins. from a pressure standpoint and from the standpoint of how much recoil can you stand.  The Alaskan and similar cartridges rival a .458 Winchester already.

The practical consideration, all else aside, is purely financial.  You can get dies/reamers for the Alaskan where the proposed cartidge would be custom all the way and you will probably end up with a gun you will probably load down to hot .45-70 equivalent loads.  Brass is also an expensive proposition.

Don't let me discourage you, we all know the reason we dream of, and sometimes build, such creations is BECAUSE, I WANT IT.  As soon as we have to rationalize why we NEED to have any gun we are lost!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just picked the Jan/Feb issue of RifleShooter today.  There's an article on the .50 Alaskan.  Although not based on the original 50-110 length it does sound like quite a cartridge and is kept at the 2.1" case length.  The author claims this one will does 2050 fps with a 453gr bullet out of a 19 1/2" barrel, for 4225 fpe at the muzzle.  The rifle is a custom job offered by Wild West Guns based on the Marlin Guide Gun.  While the length is similar to the 45/70, the girth of the 50 Alaskan is much greater.  The picture comparing these two cartridges is similar to ones comparing the 45 Colt to the 500 Linebaugh.  If I could add a pic here I'd scan one and include it.  The author whimped out on doing any load development that he could report in the article...kind of a bummer.

While the biggest and baddest is novel to us Americans, I'm not sure what I would use one of these things for here in Colorado.  It's intended use is for big carnivores in North American locales where these critters are a worry.  I'd shoot one if presented with the opportunity but won't be spending the &#361099+ on my own.  Wild West apparently also builds a similar rifle in their own .457 Magnum, a longer version of the 45/70.

I'm still waiting for the 375/50-110...sorry, couldn't resist :).

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI,

About the 50 Alaskan I hear 2000+ fps for a 450grain,that is alright ,but I've had a 475 grain beetooth going 1969 fps and could even get more.out of my 20 inch ported barrel.I am going to go with a 525 gas check bullet soon am I am going to try to get close to 2000fps. KEV,by the way I've talk on the phone with a few who claim they have done this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the purpose of such a massive cartridge is to keep a kodiak bear from mauling you....and the likely range being less than 100 yards...what does the 450 Alaska offer that the 450 Marlin couldn't do?

A 350 grn soft point going 2200 fps is going to stop even the baddest critter from attacking.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't see why you guys worry about big-bore wildcats when there is a pefectly servicable 50
BMG available in various configurations for anyone with hair on his chest. I even saw an article where someone had made a sort of pistol in that caliber.
Actually, the Winchester Supreme 12 gauge sabot slug throws a 385 grain bullet at 1900 advertised,
which ain't too shabby. For stopping bears, I think
a claymore mine wired to the end of a long stick would be about right.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Gasbag said:
For stopping bears, I think
a claymore mine wired to the end of a long stick would be about right.

Yes, but if you have two claymores on the stick it becomes an assault weapon ;) .

rt

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Only if the stick is less than 16" long with a 26" OAL. Also depends on if it is easily concealable with more than a ten claymore magazine attached.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Garth,

You've received enough razz-berries to make jam for the next year!!

I don't see why you couldn't do a 450 Super Alaskan..... the question would more likely be, has someone already done it in the past, and its been all but forgotten.

Let us know when you start to cut metal!!

Lobo in Snowy West Virginia

1 - 10 of 10 Posts