Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The throats on my two .45 Colt Bisleys measure .4526" - should I order .452 or .453 sized bullets?  Also, I want a 300 grain to use in a Win 94 rifle in 45 colt, should I choose a WFN or a LFN?

Finally, is there really a 6-month wait?  Even for a fellow Idahoan?

Tom

·
Registered
298 Posts
Tom - I'd opt for bullets sized .452".  Doing so would allow for a tight, push through fit through the cylinders and prevent the bullet from being swaged down.

My Win 94 feeds both WFN's and LFN's with ease.  From what I understand, such is not always the case. If you have access to either type of bullet, make up a dummy round(s) and see if it cycles properly.

Can't help you with number 3   :^)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have lapped out the barrels of all my 45 Colts. I've settled on all my bullets for 45 Colt to be .454. I've not found a 45 Colt revolver that didn't shoot accurately with this size bullet.
So I'd go with the .453 and expect some accurate loads.
Jim

·
Registered
298 Posts
How's that for polar opposite experiences Tom!  :^)

My bench testing has shown me if a bullet is swaged down due to tight cylinder throats, accuracy suffers.  I found this true for my Redhawk and Bisley in 45 colt.  Using identical loads (components, bullets) with the exception of bullet diameters, I've found that a tight, push-through bullet fit gives me accuracy in the 1" 5-shot range at 25 yards.  Second best groups came through using slightly undersized (easy push-through or slip through fit) slugs for the cylinder but not the bore.  Over sized slugs (for the cylinder) gave me groups in the 2-4" range at 25 yards.  The best way to determine what you will need is to shoot both and see which diameter shoots best from your sixgun.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Most my 45 Colts have cylinder mouths that are at least one thousandth larger then the barrel diameter and usually two thousandths larger.
I've not had to do it but if I were to find that my cylinder mouths were the same size as the barrel I'd do a bit of reaming to open them up to at least one thousandth larger.
As far as my loads go I use a max of 9.5 grains of Unique with a wheel weight alloy with a bit of tin 255 grain.
I do pep up a 300 grain bullet for the Anaconda with 20 grains of H110. Again this bullet is sized .454.
The only time I get leading in my 45 Colts is those occasions when I use store bought bullets sized at .452. Then I cuss and spit, think evil things about the maker of said bullets canine ancestry and how I wish he took up knitting.
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts