Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have accumulated a "more than adequate supply" of brass for the .454.

Being "frugal" I am wondering if I trim it down will it function in my Ruger .45 LC.

Since the .454 takes a small rifle primer, will the firing pin strike with enough force to ignite?

Will the SRP's themselves cause higher pressures with normal powder charges?

An inquiring mind would like to know.

Kinda fun this reloading stuff ;*) Thank God for the bold men who have made mistakes so that I do not have to.

Scotty

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Scotty;
  Small pistol primers are the same size as small rifle primers, so I don't see a problem there unless you've used some over spec SR primers in those cases already. However, I haven't got a batch of over spec (too large in dia.) primers in years.

(Note to newbies. Large pistol primers are .009" shorter than Large Rifle primers, but the same diameter. They can't stand as much pressure.)

I'd be more concerned about available powder space. Also, the .454 brass could be too thick to seat a bullet deep enough after it's cut down. If you have to ream them, forget it. IIRC, an RCBS reamer die is well over a 100 bucks.

I've got some .38 Special cases that I can't seat a 148 gr. wadcutter in because they're too thick past the seating depth of a round nose.

Guess I'd seat some SP primers and see if they're snug enough. If they aren't you could cut back a few cases and see if your gun can fire SR primers. If your gun is a double action, try them that way because the hammer doesn't come back as far in double action, so it doesn't hit as hard.

If it's still a go at this point, see if your trimmed cases weigh more than .45 cases. If they are, back off and work up again. Back off if you're using SR primers, just in case.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just knew that someone had gone down this trail!

The gun I am loading for is the Ruger Bisquero (my new packin gun) and I have no intention of blowing it up by trying to make a Casull out of it. I have shot the Casull enough to know that it is too much of a good thing for me anyways! On the other hand, I do want to utilize components on hand.

I had figgured that what with Ruger's propensity to have somewhat oversized cylinders on their .45's that the bullet would seat (I am using .452 diameter right now...only stock avaliable in Fairbanks).

Another question...

Since Ruger seems unwilling to tighten up their cylinders, would it be advantageous to have Lee open up the sizing die a tad bit so that the brass does not go through so much streaching and squeezing? Would it extend brass life?

Having settled on the perfect handgun for my purposes, now I am just trying to figgure out how best to fine tune.

Jack R...would you be interested in sharing your load data for these cases? I have been using H110 for all top end loads in the 45LC and .454 but am not adverse to trying a different powder or two while I tweek this new huntin' buddy.

Once I settle on a load, I am going to have a dovetailed barrel band made up to carry a front sight of proper height that can be adjusted for windage (and BLUED! so that I can see the dang thing ;*)

Thanks,

Scotty

·
Registered
90 Posts
I knew that I was not the only one with this idea, I contacted starline for info, and no one would answer any questions. The only thing I got was you might have to neck ream the brass.  I just want to know how much pressure can be made due to the stronger brass. Yes, stronger. The webbing and small primer pocket really helps.   Just for the note, I sent my redhawk back to Ruger for repairs, and will let you know if cylinders are smaller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts