Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to have do a spreadsheet calculate my trim lengths for cases based on the characteristics of the bullet being loaded, in this case Beartooth's 454's. I thought the results were interesting, so I decided to post them. I think it shows how bullet style can affect a case's total remaining volume, which equates to powder capacity. Max cartridge OAL for the 454 is 1.765".

Size  Wt (gr) B-OAL  B-NTC  Mep    Trim Len  Case Cap
.452  355     0.885   0.400   0.360   1.365       0.880
.452  350     0.871   0.500   0.340   1.265       0.894
.452  345     0.860   0.450   0.360   1.315       0.905
.452  340     0.865   0.400   0.320   1.365       0.900

What I thought was interesting was that the case with the shortest trim length was for the third lightest bullet. However, the remaining case capacity was the largest of all. On the other hand the heaviest and lightest bullets had the longest trim length.

God bless,

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Many thanks!  You've given us all great information here.  You are right on all counts, and it also serves as a reference point for those selecting bullets for use in their guns.

A quick question.  What .454 are you shooting?  Was it necessary to reach your trim lengths as listed for use in your gun, or merely to acheive "book lengths"?

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall, thank you very much. I'm pleased that you feel my info will be helpful.

I have a 454 Raging Bull, and I was using 'book lengths' as a guide. There doesn't seem to be extra room in the cylinder as with 44M Redhawks, although I would be interested in finding out if there is. As of yet, I haven't tried to do any measurements.

God bless,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Southpaw,

Concerning the 350gr LCMN bullet, I'm sure you noticed that the calculated trim length of 1.265" is less than the normal range for 45colt.  I'm not sure how much room you have in your Taurus, but you might consider using 45colt cases rather than trimming 454 down that far.

In fact, the LCMN stands for Long Cylinder Medium Nose.  Marshall has previously advised me that it is really intended for use in custom 5 shot 45colt revolvers that have been fitted with a maximum length cylinder.  I use that bullet in my Bowen made Bisley; Starline cases, CCI-350 primers, 26.0 gr H110, 1.775 COL.  This round will also chamber in a friend's 454 SRH.  I don't know if the cylinder of your Taurus is long enough.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Husker, thanks, that's a great idea. Recently, I read some testing Paco did on 340 gr'ers in his 4 3/4" FA 454. He did just what you suggest, used 45LC cases. Still, the light didn't dawn until I read your post.  I think that would probably less expensive too. The trim lengths lengths I calculated, were based on the standard FA 454 catridge OAL of 1.765", but I do want to measure the cylinder length in the near future. It would be nice if there was a little extra 'growing' room though.

God bless,

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Husker, thanks, that's a great idea. Recently, I read some testing Paco did on 340 gr'ers in his 4 3/4" FA 454. He did just what you suggest, used 45LC cases. Still, the light didn't dawn until I read your post.  I think that would probably less expensive too. The trim lengths lengths I calculated, were based on the standard FA 454 catridge OAL of 1.765", but I do want to measure the cylinder length in the near future. It would be nice if there was a little extra 'growing' room though.

God bless,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts