Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning, i hope everyone,s holidays are going well; i have just purchased a taurus 454 cassul in 2-1/4 inch barrel length. i am guilty in that, i did not purchase due to any bear hunting needs, but simply to own it. i should add that i also own a 6.5 inch 454, and therefore am aware of the recoil from THAT model. my question is; has anyone fired THIS gun, in THIS barrel length, using 454 rounds and can report on the recoil?

thank you!

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in, have fun, and play nicely with the rest of us kids. I have moved your post to the appropriate forum. The General forum is perhaps not well-named. It is really for what doesn't fit in one of the other categories. Perhaps it should be name "Odds and Ends"?

I have fired the Ruger in that barrel length and chambering. It recoils, but it's not like it flies out of your hand or anything. The TC Contenders in 45-70 that I've fired were worse. The super light titanium .45 Colt revolvers are worse.

Though the short barreled gun is light, most of the cartridges made for the Casull are expecting a long barrel, so the powders used have plenty of time to burn and build velocity. The short barrel cuts that acceleration off early enough that the bullets are not at the velocity your 6.5 inch barrel gives them, so the total recoil impulse is mitigated some by that fact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
recoil

after giving thought to your anwser, does this mean that coming out of such a short barrel, that something is lost??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts