Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about some hard cast bullets sized .454 instead of what is advertised for the proper diameter for the 454 @ .452.
These bullets were from another casting company!
What impact would these bullets have shooting them sized .454  instead of .452 in the different 454 guns out there??  
Any help would be greatly appreciated!  
  Thanks Paul D.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
#Moderation Mode

Paul,

Your post was moved to the Handgun Cartridges Forum so it will be better catorized for response!

Thanks

<a href="http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=18" target="_self">Moved here</a>

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Paul,

Those bullets are sized to .454 primarily with the intention that they will be fired in Colt SAA's and their various clones.   These guns very typically have cylinder throats that are from .455"-.457" in diameter while groove diameters of barrels vary from .4505"-.453" depending upon manufacturer and the dates of manufacture.

Some of the earlier Ruger Blackhawks in .45LC also had large throats measuring .454-.455" diameter as well.

When increasing the bullet diameter to more closely match the true diameter of the cylinder throats, accuracy increases and performance is more predictable.

Now, to answer your question regarding the .454 Casull.  If attempting to use these .454" diameter bullets in a Freedom Arms .454, the loaded ammo probably won't even chamber due to the tight tolerances of the FA guns.

In the Ruger, and the Taurus it is questionable that they would chamber in these guns either.   If they did, they would probably lead the bore, as they are too large for the cylinder throat dimensions, and the forcing cone area would soon become leaded heavily.

They would pose no hazard from a safety standpoint however, if they would chamber, these guns wouldn't even know the oversize bullet was there in regard to pressure.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Marshall for your response.
The reason I asked about the .454 bullets is that in the Cabelas catalog it lists two different weights 360gr. WLNGC and 370 gr WLNGC specifically for the casull.
The bullets are from CAST PERFORMANCE BULLET COMPANY. Bullets sized (.454)
Must be a misprint???
Thanks   again  ,  Paul D.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a .454 SRH and it just plain doesn't like .452 bullets!  The cylinder chambers seem to be a loose fit for .452 and a tight fit for .453 bullets.  

Bullets sized at .452 tend to group about 2 - 2.5" at 25 yards.  (Not bad by my standards....)  But using 300 grain cast bullets sized to .454, a friend of mine can shoot sub 1" groups at 25 yards.  (Wish I could shoot like that!)

If I size those bullets down to .452, the groups get at least twice as big.

Yea, I have trouble chambering the .454 bullets.  They go in so hard, I sometimes have to tap them in with a plastic screw driver handle.

I have some Beartooth bullets sized to .453 and they seem to do real well, but I haven't had my friend shoot them to see if they are sub 1" loads in this gun or not.  They chamber just fine, in part because they are slightly smaller just ahead of the crimp groove, so the full size .453 doesn't protrude into the chamber like those .454 bullets I have.

Remember, every gun has its own personality, other .454 SRHs may have a different taste for lead than mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts