Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't found a load for this bullet with H-110.  I started with 29.0 and went to 31.5, the best accuracy was about 6 inches at 75 yds (4X scope).  I am new to the gun so I thought it might be me, but I can get 3 inch groups with a jacketed load.  What about Little Gun the data in Hogdon's manual seems to show less pressure at near the same velocity.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bob,

I doubt the fault lies with the powder. Nearly every shooter using the big bores loads with H110 or it's twin W296. This sounds more like a bullet fit issue. Have you slugged the bore and the cylinder mouths yet? I willing to bet that there's a problem with the size of the bullet in relationship to the guns dimensions. While powder selection can have a small part in the accuracy of any given load this sounds like a bigger problem than that.

Let us know what you find so we can help you get this cannon shooting

MT Callahan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mr. Harris:
What gun are you using? I have the Ruger Super Redhawk and it shoots the 310 WLN wonderfully. Your loads sound a little on the light side. I shoot 35.0gr of H-110/296 for velocities of 1700fps and groups around an inch at 25yds with a 2x Leupold. My throats slugged at .4515 with the bore right at .452. Try bringing up your charges a half grain at a time till you get better  accuracy. I wouldn't go any higher than the charge I listed, it really isn't neccesary. Definetly slug your gun to be sure you don't have a tight throat. Hope this helps, if not we can try something else.

God Bless

Chris

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I'll agree with the previous posts... bullet fit would be my first consideration... check that carefully.   Also, check for barrel constriction where the barrel shank screws into the revolver's frame.   Even a .001" constriction can raise hob with accuracy using cast bullets.

Powder selection and charge are the second issue and Chris hits on this in his post.   H110/W296 are great powders for this cartridge... provided that you are operating in the top 5% of the pressure envelope.   These powders thrive on pressure, and will give very erratic burning charicteristics if under pressure.   Sounds like your loads are a bit on the light side, which could contribute to your groups being large.   Remember that powder charges are different for the LBT style bullets due to two factors when compared to equal weight jacketed pills.  

First, the bullet, having so much of its weight ahead of the crimp groove, they compromise less case capacity than their jacketed counterparts... hence, less pressure at equal charges.

Second, the hard cast gas checked LBT design bullets have a lower friction coefficient than do any jacketed bullets.   Again, lower pressures at equal powder charge weights.

Combine the two advantageous factors of the LBT bullets, and you have a vastly different top end load using them when compared to jacketed bullets of any manufacturer.  

Also, if using somewhat reduced loads, you are best off using AA #9.  It doesn't require the high end pressure envelope to reach burning efficiency, and gives very uniform and predictable ballistics from less than max charges.  It would be my choice in this cartridge if not wanting to go with near maximum loads.

Also, a last consideration.  You mentioned the bullets are 300g WFN's... are they gas checked?  Who's bullets are they... hardness and bullet lubricant enters into the picture as well when looking at the issue of ballistic uniformity.  Don't know here what you're working with, but it may help those of us here on the forum to help you out a bit more precisely.

Let us know!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gun is a Freedom Arms.  The cylinder measures three at .453 and two at .452, the barrel at .452, these are as best I can measure by flattening a .440 round ball and using a micrometer.  The bullets are Beartooth, sized .452 with gaschecks.  The groups seemed to be more consistent at 31 and 31.5 grains, so maybe I quit to soon.  Do you have a suggested maximum.  I am using Win. brass and Remington 7 1/2 primers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
HI BOB, WORK UP TO 32.5GR H110/W296 WITH THE WFNGC, THOSE THROATS SEEM ODD FOR A FA,USUALLY THEY RUN @.452 CONSISTANT. IS THIS AN OLDER FA? ALSO IF ITS NEAR BY GO TO YOUR RELOAD SUPPLIER AND PICK UP A BOX OF THE NEW WIN PRIMERS. (BLUE BOX WSRP) I USED THE 7 1/2 FOR A WHILE A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK WITH SATISFACTORY RESULTS. IN MY OPINION THE WIN SRP IS THE BEST IN THE 454. ALSO AS MENTIONED ABOVE YOU NEED A HEAVY BULLET TO CASE FIT FOR A HEAVY PULL AND A HEAVY CRIMP TO KEEP THE H110/W296 WORKING ITS BEST. WHEN SEATING THE BULLET IT SHOULD OPEN THE CASE AS ITS BEING SEATED, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE EXACTLY WHERE THE BASE OF THE BULLET IS LOOKING AT THE SIDE OF CASE. IT WILL HAVE A SLIGHT BULGE.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I think that you are on the right track!  Keep increasing that charge of H110 incrementally, and you'll see those group sizes shrink!  

I'll have to agree on the oddity of the throat dimensions on your FA revolver.   Generally FA's are much tighter and more uniform than that.   Having different size throats in the same cylinder will also raise hob with your grouping ability... it changes the dynamics of the load in regard to bullet/throat fit, and thereby won't shoot as consistently as it otherwise might if all cylinder throats were uniform diameter.   If your accuracy problems persist, you might just consider uniforming your throats... it might help more than you could imagine!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
6 Posts
you also might try rem 7 1/2 br primers, I dropped almost an inch and a half off my taurus over winchester primers with h-110

1 - 8 of 8 Posts