Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
3,367 Posts
I'll agree with the previous posts... bullet fit would be my first consideration... check that carefully.   Also, check for barrel constriction where the barrel shank screws into the revolver's frame.   Even a .001" constriction can raise hob with accuracy using cast bullets.

Powder selection and charge are the second issue and Chris hits on this in his post.   H110/W296 are great powders for this cartridge... provided that you are operating in the top 5% of the pressure envelope.   These powders thrive on pressure, and will give very erratic burning charicteristics if under pressure.   Sounds like your loads are a bit on the light side, which could contribute to your groups being large.   Remember that powder charges are different for the LBT style bullets due to two factors when compared to equal weight jacketed pills.  

First, the bullet, having so much of its weight ahead of the crimp groove, they compromise less case capacity than their jacketed counterparts... hence, less pressure at equal charges.

Second, the hard cast gas checked LBT design bullets have a lower friction coefficient than do any jacketed bullets.   Again, lower pressures at equal powder charge weights.

Combine the two advantageous factors of the LBT bullets, and you have a vastly different top end load using them when compared to jacketed bullets of any manufacturer.  

Also, if using somewhat reduced loads, you are best off using AA #9.  It doesn't require the high end pressure envelope to reach burning efficiency, and gives very uniform and predictable ballistics from less than max charges.  It would be my choice in this cartridge if not wanting to go with near maximum loads.

Also, a last consideration.  You mentioned the bullets are 300g WFN's... are they gas checked?  Who's bullets are they... hardness and bullet lubricant enters into the picture as well when looking at the issue of ballistic uniformity.  Don't know here what you're working with, but it may help those of us here on the forum to help you out a bit more precisely.

Let us know!

God Bless,

Marshall

· Premium Member
3,367 Posts
I think that you are on the right track!  Keep increasing that charge of H110 incrementally, and you'll see those group sizes shrink!  

I'll have to agree on the oddity of the throat dimensions on your FA revolver.   Generally FA's are much tighter and more uniform than that.   Having different size throats in the same cylinder will also raise hob with your grouping ability... it changes the dynamics of the load in regard to bullet/throat fit, and thereby won't shoot as consistently as it otherwise might if all cylinder throats were uniform diameter.   If your accuracy problems persist, you might just consider uniforming your throats... it might help more than you could imagine!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.