Shooters Forum banner

.454 casull leveraction?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MikeG 
#1 ·
Does anyone make a .454 levergun?  I would love to have a levergun/ revolver combo in the same caliber!
-Mike

#6 ·
I handled a converted Winchester 94 Trapper in .454 years ago when the .454 was strictly a handloading proposition.  I questioned the gunsmith who did the conversion and he was pleased with it.  I don't know if he was loading max loads, but I doubt it.  I had no desire to try it and find out.

Leave it to Rossi to come out with the .454 first in a 92 model.  I have a 24" oct. barreled 357 mag in stainless and it is a great gun that I really enjoy!

#7 ·
Browning makes the single shot(lever action) falling block in 454 . Full 454 loads are really high pressure for a revolver. I dont think any other handgun cartridge operates at that high a pressure. if im not mistaken 454 full run pretty close to modern bolt action roundsin terms of operating psi . So you run into the question, 45/70 factory 300 gr hp's velocities pretty much match top 454 loads . You can hand load 45/70 in a modern lever gun to exceed 454 by a considerable amount. So, most people would choose a 45/70 over 454 rifle. I m not sure a Marlin is designed to handle full 454 loads do to pressure considerations. A 45/70 huge powder capacity relative to the 454's allows lower operating pressures at higher velocities and ability to handle heavier bullets much better.

#8 ·
Does anyone know what the ballistics would be in the 20 inch Rossi carbine? Also, what North American game animals do you believe the .454 Casull in the Rossi carbine would be suitable for?

Regards,
Timberwolf

#9 ·
For one yr the 454Casull was chambered in a Win/Browning Hi-Wall action. Not much info was ever posted on results. The 454 is such a specialized, exotic cartridge that the handgun crowd wants to keep it a handgun round IMO. From my experience with the 45-70 gov't reloading, I would think that the 454 will approach that performance level at higher pressures.Revolvers can achieve 1800fps with .001" cylinder gaps and pressures in the 60,000psi range.

#10 ·
Marshall has the experience with the m92 leverguns to work up some realtime- sane- for- the- simple- type- shooters loads that should be more economical then hot 45-70 stuff. A lever carbine with a 300-325gr wfn should be the epitome of still hunters rifle for whatever he happens upon. Just as the Jaeger Rifles of the18-19century and the Hawkin rifle of the Plainsman. Realisticly I would expect 300gr bullets at 2000fps from the carbine.

#12 ·
Just speculation, but in a carbine, I'd think that the .454 would just beat you to death.

Sound to me like the market may be somewhat limited.  But sure would be a neat gun to have in bear country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.