Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some load advice using PENN bullets 270 Thunderhead? I am planning on using remington 7 1/2 primers and most likely H110 powder. Please feel free to list any powder info you have....

Thank You

·
Registered
287 Posts
Never heard of them.You can go to load swap and might find info_Otherwise You can find a bullet of similar construction and weight reduce starting about 5% and work up.If you can't find data for that particular weight,find data for weight heavier and one lighter,a little math and you'll find a starting load.h110 is about as good as gets for the 454 for full house loads,though with starting loads you may notice your spent cases may have soot on them(not enough pressure to s4eal the casein the chamber)not a problem,nothing more powder can't fix.A little soot around the case mouth is fine good luck and let us know how it works out

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Thunderhead is meant for 1000 to 1500 fps. Most Casull loads with close to that bullet weight using H110 operate at 1700-1800 fps; the Thunderhead at that velocity will probably lead severely. Add to that the fact that H-110 is not a good powder for reduced loads, and can actually be dangerous; so you can't just download it.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
+1

Exactly what crossfire said. The H110 will detonate if used in limited quanities,ESPECIALLY in the bigger cases.

I find that I can drive the Cast Performance brand of bullets pretty fast outta my 16" carbine w/o severe leading. Even the 265's going very close to 2000fps. ----pruhdlr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thunderheads testing

I recently received a shipment of Thunderheads as well. So far my best luck has been using HS-6 in 45 Colt brass made by Winchester. Using a rest I have had 50 yard groups more than once around 1.5 inches. Best groups have been obtained with powder charges between 11.8 grains and 12.3 grains. I have shot these out of a 45 Colt Ruger Bisley and a Ruger 454 Casull SRH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kacoghill again

I am going to agree after trial and error. ok here it goes. I started with 23 gr of H110 and Remington 71/2 primers. What I ended up with was bullets being stuck halfway in my barrel. When I opened the cylinder It was a mess with partially burned powder., as if only the primers went off. I changed lots of powder an primers with the same result... Lessons learned. So what would be a better powder for the 270gr lead bullet ? Thanks for your input.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Huh,What??

Flirtin' with disaster are ya ??

Go back and re-read post #3&4. Please state to us how we could be any plainer/clearer ??

Next time......call the ER and book a room.

Sheeeeeesh !! -----pruhdlr

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
That would be my thought too!!!! :eek:

Seems a little light for that round? Don't think we have any first hand reports on the forum yet.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Yeah,Don't Do It

Dostetres, Taurus Judge is designed for 410 shotgun and 45LC. Do not use 454 Casull loads OR 45LC that is loaded to some of the "+P" pressures in the weapon. Some of the Buffalo Bore and/or CorBon stuff would surely have disastrous results.

Frankly,it scares me that you would even ask. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dostetres, Taurus Judge is designed for 410 shotgun and 45LC. Do not use 454 Casull loads OR 45LC that is loaded to some of the "+P" pressures in the weapon. Some of the Buffalo Bore and/or CorBon stuff would surely have disastrous results.

Frankly,it scares me that you would even ask. -----pruhdlr
Actualy, I believe Taurus is making a 5-shot judge for the 454 and +P colt.

P.S.
pruhdlr, your might change the way you approach responding to others. I mean not everyone is as smart as you nor may they be as well informed as you, so you might come off sounding like a really nice and friendly guy.

In case you didn't get that. That was sarcasm.

Lighten up man! Get your facts straight before you go jumping down someones throat for something that's your mistake.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I am going to agree after trial and error. ok here it goes. I started with 23 gr of H110 and Remington 71/2 primers. What I ended up with was bullets being stuck halfway in my barrel. When I opened the cylinder It was a mess with partially burned powder., as if only the primers went off. I changed lots of powder an primers with the same result... Lessons learned. So what would be a better powder for the 270gr lead bullet ? Thanks for your input.
I'm kinda surprised as that load is a really good one for a MY RUGER 45 colt. I don't use Rem. primers so is the 7 1/2 a mag primer? If not that could be part of the problem as h110 and 296 both should be used with mag primers. I realize the 45 colt ain't a 454 but there isn't that much difference in size, only pressure capabilities. That load in the 45 colt generates in the neighborhood of 25,000 psi and right at 1350fps as I recall, so should be close to that in 454. Well, should at least make it out the barrel.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
It may depend on your lot of powder, and other little things like crimp and bullet pull. Also primer strength. Definitely on the low end of what would be reliable with 296 or H110.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Actualy, I believe Taurus is making a 5-shot judge for the 454 and +P colt.

You are correct. They call it "The Raging Judge". But it's a SIX shot 454 casull and 3in. 410 shotshell. 3in or 6in barrel. Of course will shoot 45 colt and 2 1/2 in 410 as well. Wow, I didn't realize there were so many different models of "the judge". A friend just bought one of the 45 colt models, I think I'd like to shoot it and see if it's a worthwhile option for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry but it sounds like you are loading very light for the powder you are using, I load my custom 340 grain WFNGC with 25.5 grains of H110 same as WW-296, and it is a very mild load. You will have much better results with Blue dot or 2400 at less than near maximum charges. H-110 and 296 are both best at or near top end pressure, they are not meant for reduced loads and can be VERY DANGEROUS at low pressure.

As for the radging judge, I would shoot one before I bought it, I have a friend who has the judge in 45 lc and it is less accurate than a sling shot at over 25 yards!

As always, it is recomended to use Magnum Primmers when using H-110 or WW-296 and in any .454 Casual load use Small Rifle Primer's!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kacoghill--I have had good luck at low velocities (estimated velocities of 750-950 fps) with the Penn bullet. When I have tried to move up to higher velocities with H110, HS-6, Blue Dot, and AA#9 my groups have been terrible. So far I have not found a powder for either of my 2 Ruger pistols that have grouped well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.