Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having fun playing with my .454 Casull in my 12" Encore, but I'm having trouble finding load data on bullets over 300 gr, especially over 330 gr. I'm using H110, HS-6, Accurate #9, and Unique. So far I've been educated guessing on my heavy bullet loads with some input from sources, but does anyone know of any confirmed data for heavy bullet loads? I'm understandably a little nervous about using loads that haven't been tested in other guns, and at known pressures and velocities, Steve's reloading pages have a few loads, but no pressures or velocities, and loadswap.com over at Beartooth carries some stuff, but is there anything more out there or am I hitting unpublished territory? The bullets are all cast, all from Lloyd Smale at this point, love those bullets Lloyd! Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Selmer

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Check Load Swap. There are several .454 loads posted there using heavy bullets.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Heavy Bullets

The 454 Casull seems to like 260gr-300gr jacket bullets the best, for good performance accuracy, I noticed you have not used Win 296 either, this is my best powder for the Casull, The recoil seems to be crisper than the H110 even though they are close in comparison. Maybe you can go to lager bullet using cast, watch your fps or you will be leading big time, if your admit to shooting larger bullets not listed, you may want to call the powder MFG or bullet MFG, they may be able to give you a start load using your encore. I have done this in the past. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to point out that the reason that I do not list W296 is that I've contacted both manufacturers, and the powders come out of the same mix and are exactly the same, the only variation being the designation and the slightly different burning rates between different lots, which occurs with all powders, regardless of manufaturer.
Selmer

·
Registered
471 Posts
Selmer this is interesting. I have reloaded both powders for years, I have noticed W296 beats out the H110 in FPS per load most of the time. Max load are higher as well using W296. I find this to have discrepancy's...Using the 454 Casull notice your Max loads and fps W296 Vs H110.
Food for thought. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,314 Posts
It's lot to lot variations. You would not believe how slow my can of WW296 is.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
330 gr hardcast, 30gr H110, starline brass, small rifle primer. Not max but it lets you know when you touch one off.

Search thru the back threads there should be quite a few more.

EricG

·
Registered
64 Posts
.454 SRH 7.5"bbl 65F 5000FT

395gr CPB 25.0gr H110 - 1356fps
405gr BTB 24.0gr H110 - 1349fps
355gr BTB 28.0gr H110 - 1501fps

HTH
-Mike

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I had difficulty getting my Encore with 454 Cassull barrel to shoot the loads I use for my other 454. Tried several different bullets, all cast, but no success. Until I received a Rob Applegate mould I ordered. It is for a 330 gr LFNGC and was worth the wait. The T/C Encore liked it right away. I load H110 and at the last outing it shot into 4" at 80 yards. I used 5 shot strings of 23 gr, 24 gr, 25 gr 26 gr,and 27 gr. They all seemed to be about the same accuracy. Didn't chrono any yet. I suspect these would be accurate until the powder was compressed in the case. H110 and W296 don't like much compression until they lose velocity and start getting larger velocity spreads.

I noticed the T/c Barrel has a long freebore. I believe the shape of the nose on this bullet is better positioned to enter the rifling than the other designs.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There is a guy here in NH JB Young, he makes some nice cast bullets, some have a base for higher fps, I asked him to send me some samples, he did and they are some nice bullets. I have heard good results using them on the big bore Marlin forum. I have not loaded them yet, not a cast man, just was curous. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

http://www.Competitor-pistol.com/jbyoung.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts