Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have reloading data for the 454 casull with the 355 gr. bullet?
                                          thanks
                                               dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is lighter than what I have seen,  31.5 grs of H110, has been recommended with the 355 gr bullet has been shown in forum, I was hoping to try this soon, as well as 27 grs with the 405, in my 454 super redhawk, in case I am attacked by a T-Rex!

any recommendations appriciated!

·
Registered
130 Posts
HI JIM, THESE ARE THE LOADS THAT I USE, JUST TO CLEAR UP SOMETHING THAT I MENTIONED ABOVE WAS THE DATA THAT WAS ON HERE IN REGARDS TO THE 345GR. LAST WEEK. ALTHOUGH I WILL SAY THAT MYSELF PERSONALLY I BELIEVE THAT 29GR/H110/W296 IS PLENTY WITH A 355GR BULLET. AND THAT 25GR H110/W296AND A 405GR IS A GOOD LOAD.  IF I NEED MORE I WILL BRING OUT THE 475.  PS REMEMBER WHAT IS SAFE IN ONE FIREARM MAYBE OVER MAX IN ANOTHER. START LOW AND WORK UP.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Dave,

What Jim L. says here is good council, for the .454 Casull, begin at"

BTB .452"-355g WNGC/29.0g H110-W296/WSRP/Starline Brass

It is not a top end load, but a very good launching point for serious load development.  What is said here about safe loads in one gun, not being necessarily true in another is pure fact and excellent council.  

I have noticed that H110-W296 operates best and gives best uniformity when operating at the top 5% of the pressure envelope.   However, arbitrarily putting one into the top 3-5% of that pressure window is hardly prudent to start with.   It will require judicious load develompent and close attention to detail.

These high intensity handgun cartridges are both rewarding and fun to work up!  Enjoy and be safe!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and clarification, the information you guys provide is great!

Have a great day!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what velocity can i expect with the starting load of 29.0 grains of h110 and the 355 gr. bullet out of a 7.5 inch super redhawk?
                                        thanks
                                            Dave

·
Registered
130 Posts
HI DAVE,  29GR H110 AND THE 355GR WLN WILL CLOCK AROUND 1450 FPS +OR-  A LITTLE DEPENDING ON TEMPERATURE AND BULLET TO CASE FIT AS WELL AS CRIMP, THESE HEAVY WEIGHTS REALLY GET H110/W296 TO WORK EFFICENTLY TO GET A GOOD BURN BUT OTHER STEPS AS MENTIONED ABOVE GOES ALONG WAY TO KEEP CONSISTENCY THERE ALSO, AS WELL AS A WINCHESTER PRIMER. HAVE FUN AND LET US KNOW HOW THE LOAD WORKS OUT.  JIM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info gentlemen. i was actually thinking of keeping my 355 grainers at about 1350 to 1370 fps. any ideas? the powder doesn't have to be h110.(accurate no.9 maybe?)
                                                  thanks
                                                        dave

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I am shooting the 355 gr. LWNGC bullet in my 10" FA .454.  I went to 32.0 gr. H110 for 1800 fps, but got much better accuracy at 31.5 gr. for 1793 fps.  From 30.5 to 32.0 gr velocity increase was not very much so I did not see any advantage to going higher, especially when 31.5 gr. was giving groups of 2.5" for 5 shots at 150 yards.  Good enough for me.  Cases fell from the chambers under their own weight and zero leading.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1800 fps with this bullet is impresive, but what velocity can be from shorter barrel (7 1/2") ? Is ruger super redhawk capable shoot this load ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jiri
I'd be a little leary about running a load that hot through a Super Redhawk. The plain truth is that the Freedom Arms revolvers are built to much higher standards than the Rugers. If you've ever handled one you know what I mean. They have a feel of quality similar to a British double rifle. I'm not Ruger bashing- I have a .454 Super Redhawk but I prefer to keep my loads in the 50,000 to 55,000 CUP range. However at a gun show this last weekend I talked to a Ruger factory rep who said they fired one 350,000 full power rounds and could not detect any wear under a microscope. So maybe I'm being overcautious in my practises and recommendations.
                                               Dave

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
My revolver measured almost the same vels as John Taffins revolvers did, so from the information he sent me the 7.5" barrel should give only 25 fps less, or that's at least what Taffin got from his FA 7.5" with the same load.  However, John says explicitly that these loads are not to be used in anything but a FA revolver, and I second that.  While the Ruger is a fine firearm, it's tollerances are much more loose than the FA revolver, hence Ruger saying it's OK to shoot .45 Colt in their revolver while FA warnes against it in no uncertain terms.  Not having dealt with the Ruger .454 I am afraid I cannot offer any advice on how hot it can be loaded.  Sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts