Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard mention of a few sabot loads using a .45 muzzle loader sabot and either .357 or .40 bullets. I'd like to hear some specific loads and results from anyone who has done this. I'm happy to work up my own loads but am interested to hear what powders worked best for other people.
Thanks.

·
Banned
355 Posts
454 CASULL OR 45 COLT SABOT

HI ZTHANG,
I'VE JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST RANGE SESSION WITH MY .454 RSRH, AND I THOUGHT I'D SHARE NOTES WITH YOU.
THE BULLETS USED WERE: kNIGHT 45 CAL SABOT, TAN, WITH 10 GR. OF INTERNATIONAL, AND 132 GR. CAST, .357 TRUNCATED CONE BULLET. NOTE: DIDN'T LOAD IN THE SABOT VERY WELL AND STAY THERE DURING THE CRIMPING CYCLE. 25 YARD, 3-SHOT, GROUPS WERE 4 TO 5 INCHES BUT WERE LOADED SINGLY. NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL.
THE SECOND BULLET USED WAS: KNIGHT 45 CAL SABOT, BROWN SABOT CONTAINING A KNIGHT LEAD HP POINTED BULLET, 10 GR. INTERNATIONAL. NOTES: EVERYTHING WENT SMOOTHLY DURING THE LOADING PROCESS AND CRIMPING PROCESS. THE FIRST, 3-SHOT GROUP WAS THE LARGEST AT ABOUT 4.0" BECAUSE I WAS SCARED OF WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED. THE NEXT GROUP WAS "ABOUT" 3" BUT I DIDN'T5 CONSIDER IT GOOD ENOUGH TO EVEN MEASURE. THE THIRD GROUP MEASURED 1.484" WITH TWO OF THEM OVERLAPPING ABOUT 50%. RECOIL WAS NEGLIGABLE AND THE VELOSITY WAS SUSPECTED TO BE VERY LOW. I AM ENCOURAGED TO LOAD MY REMAINING 10 SABOTS WITH 10.8 GRAINS OF CLAYS, WHICH IS MY FAVORITE .44 MAG LOADING WITH 240 GR. JHP BULLETS.
AS YOU PROBABLY KNOW, THE KNIGHT PRE-LOADED SABOTS WEIGH 189.3 GR, THE .400" DIA LEAD BULLET WEIGHS THE STATED 180 GR.. I CAN EASILY ASSUME THAT THIS LAST LOADING, ABOVE, WILL BE MORE ACCURATE. BUT FOR ME TO SPEND MORE MONEY ON THE HARD-TO-FIND- KNIGHT 45 CAL. SABOTS, WILL REQUIRE 5-SHOTS TO BE ALL TOUCHING AT 25 YARDS AND BEFORE ANY 100 YARD SHOOTING TO TAKE PLACE. THE RECOIL OF THE PRE-LOADED LEAD BULLETS IN THE KNIGHT SABOTS WAS ALSO NEGLIGABLE AND NOT A FACTOR AT ALL. THIS IS/WAS MY PRIMARY GOAL: DEVELOP A LOAD THAT WOULD DELIVER A BULLET AT 100 YARDS HAVING THE ENERGY OF ANY OF THE 30-30 FACTORY CARTRIDGES AND WITH LESS RECOIL THAN ANY OF THE FACTORY .454 LOADINGS.
NOW, IT IS YOUR TURN. LET ME KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH YOUR EXPERIMENTATION ?
:p CHUCK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts