Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently acquired a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull together with a bunch of brass, bullets, primers and powder, I set about gathering loading data.

I made a series of test loads and stayed far away from maximum loads. However, the hottest reloads I fired were painful to my hand and wrist due to cysts growing on tendons in the palm of my hand and carpil tunnel in my wrist.

Can anyone tell me if they have experience with the addition of a muzzle break on this and "worse" caliber pistols ? And can you give me an idea of cost ?

I already use a Past Shooting Glove and I've just found a WONDERFULLY accurate low velosity reload. If anyone is interested: 185 gr. JHP, Montana Gold brand bullet, WSR primer, 6.0 gr. International Clays powder in Winchester cases. The only group with this loading placed 5 shots in 1.135" and 4 out of those 5 into 0.685" at 25 yards. I used a rest and a 2 power scope. I was shooting at a redpaper target the size of a beer can ( way too large). I can hardly wait to load a bunch of brass with this load and ise a 1" red dot target placed in plain white paper.

Happy Holidays and great shooting to all you great guys in this forum. You make it the "Very Greatest Forum" I've ever seen !

csward:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you didn't have wrist and hand problems already shooting the 454 a lot will give them to you. My comment has to be limited to mag-n-porting it works well for barrel flip but didn't seem to reduce the recoil. The muzzle brakes I have tried really reduced the recoil but the noise and blast were unacceptable for me. The load I find the most comfortable to shoot in my FA 454 is a 335g cast over a load of HS-6 powder for a velocity of 1200-1300 fps I have had some good luck with the 480 ruger using Lil-gun powder and cast bullets in the 900-950 fps range thes were shot thru a Redhawk and were pleasent to say the least. I have found the 454 to be a little harder to come up with a reduced load due to the size of the case. John Taffin does have a series of light loads for the 454 listed on his web site (sixgunner.com) that might be of help. The final thing I might suggest is trying some 45 colt cases for a lighter load. althought I don't like shooting the shorter cases due to leading in the cylinders. Also you might check with Gary Reeder on his web site as to what he would charge for a muzzle brake on your gun. His work is excellent although the turn around times are getting longer. Good Luck on your quest

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jdt634,
Thank you VERY much for your having answered my plea for help on the recoil problem. You touched on the secondary and serious problem---that of noise and flash ! Due to having shot so much over my 68 years, my hearing is nearly shot and I require two hearing aids and the very best, most expensive ear protection money can buy. I hope this info will be enough to push another, younger shooter to do this NOW. I waited too long !
On Wed., I shot a 5 shot group of 1.135" and 4 of them went into 0.685" at 25 yards from a benchrested position. This was with my 2 power scoped Ruger Casull. For ME, that was darned good. The next step will be to take the 1.25 by 4 power scope off my Model 617 and put it onto the Casull.
The load was: Bullet=185 grain Montana Gold JHP: Powder= 6.0 grains of International Clays: primer= Win. Small Rifle: case= *--------* whatever THEY are !
I don't USUALLY shoot lead bullets, and I don't USUALLY shoot "short" brass in my favorite pistols. I quite litterally HATE cleaning lead out of barrels ! I'm hoping that Beartooth will change those habits about the lead bullets. Shooting LIGHT lead bullets, in .38 brass, on LIGHT loadings shoot the same size groups for ME in a Ruger GP 100 with scope ( I'm nearly blind also) as I can get with the .357 brass.
I'll follow your suggestions, for which I am very grateful. Those damned .454 fullhouse loads are too much for this old man, but nice to have for either two or four-footed predators.
Happy Holidays and God bless you.
csward

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Mr. Ward:
*--------* is Starline brass. Logical if you think about it. The first I saw was 10mm Auto reformed to 9x25 Dillon, and it kept me scratching my head for 6 months.

Get the lead out with a strip of copper Chore Girl wrapped around an old barrel brush. A half dozen strokes cuts out as much lead as half an hour with a barrel brush and solvents.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jack,
Thank you for the tip in getting "the lead out" of guns. Now if I could get it out of parts of my body I'll be all set.

I got the brass with the Ruger Casull when I traded it for a new, but worthless, Ruger Ranch Rifle. Thanks for the ID of Starline brass. Like you, I didn't make the connection at all with the headstamp. I've not run any tests with it yet as locally sold brass sells for $45 per` 100. It will be a while before I can get off the cycle of shoot-reload-shoot-reload, etc.. Maybe I'll buy a few just to weigh and measure, etc I can buy them one at a time. Ten wouldn't kill me, but it might make me cringe a little. ha ha
Your lead tip is a real winner, Jack. I'd hereto fore used all chemicals and bore brushes and lots of cuss words to get it out.
Your knowledge of our sport amazes and pleases me to read, Jack. Thanks for helping guys like me. Have a Happy Holiday season and God bless you.

csward

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey chuck
jump over to the handguns section and checkout Loaders reply to "Taming the SHR 454" using the new Hodgon longshot powder and a 360g cast bullet at about 1070fps I would think the 335 g would work as well. this would make a great hunting load for deer sized game. I have gotten 3 in groups at 100yds using this cast bullet at 1400 fps recoil is stout. Can't wait to try your plinking load and some of the longshot loads. guess I'm going to have to run a phone line to the loading room where I can feed both habits. gone to reload will let you know how it turns out. good shooting

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi jdt634,

That load came from God only knows where. But the Hornady web shows 6.5 grains of Universal Clays with the 185 JHP bullet as being their STARTING load in the 45 L.C. ! This shows a MV of only 786 fps ( I think). So the 6.0 gr Universal would be barely enough to get to the target.
So today, I reloaded 25 Caslls using 6.4 grains of Universal. Man how I love that powder ! It measures exactly and shoots so very clean !
Why didn't you tell me how many grains of the HS-6 powder you use ? What primer do you use ? I've read somewhere that Ruger has tested that gun at 90,000 psi with no ill effects to the GUN !
I'm impressed with 3" groups with a handgun of hunting quality. Were the groups with scope or what sights ?
Thanks for the tip on the 360 gr load. I'll do that after I send this.
I think that I'm going to have Garey Reeder put a m uzzle break on the Casull. I asked about felt recoil. He says he shot an AFRICAN buffalo using a TC in .300 Winchester Magnum. The previous week before he left , without the brake, he said he had trouble keeping the gun off his forehead. After the brake, there was very little lift off the bi-pod and very little rearward movement, but that the NOISE was **** ! I suspect that that $140 will be the best money I'll ever spend !
Keep in touch, Mr. jdt634, and good shooting !

chuck

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Chuck:
I forgot to mention that you can clean the forcing cone by pulling a little Chore girl lose and rolling it into a doughnut on the brush. Do it while the brush is pushed through into the frame opening, then pull it back into the forcing cone and twist your cleaning rod.

Scissors cut the Chore Girl easily, but you're get a bunch of loose half loops. So don't let them drop into the living room carpet. :D

I forgot about the forcing cone trick because I was fairly churned up at the time. Our provincial firearm safety association was getting some money from the Federal government to teach their haywire safety course. Our funding is cut off completely as of January 31th/03. Now they can waste a Billion loonies on a worthless registration scheme, but they can't find half the price of a new house to educate the children in a province of a million people. We charged $25, which is all some families can afford and a tenth of what it costs in Ontario. They always say it's about safety and for the children, but we all know that you teach them young if you what to keep them safe. This was the open line radio topic when I sent that post.

I know this is off topic, but I just had to blow off steam. I'll leave you gents to your wrist breakers now.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Jack,
You can blow off steam to me any old time you want. I agree with you entirely. So doing so to me is like a preacher preaching to the choir.
Thanks for the Chore Girls tip, Jack I'll have to read it a couple of times as I didn't "get it" the first time around.
President Bush is going to have his own "Youth Firearms Training Program", just as soon as he can get some phony-baloney reason to send them into Iraq. Not all kids are raised on farms and gun regulations are getting tiresome and very restrictive. So----" let George do it !"
chuck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mr. CSWard,

Interesting how on this one site I have run across people in areas that I have lived.

I have several friends in the Tacoma, Puyallup area. One goes back to my days as a Recruit at MCRD San Diego.

My wife and I bought our first house there on the edge of Spanaway and Graham.

We both hope to someday return. I miss the mountains even though I was born and grew up in the flatlands. At least I have the knowledge of brush, piney woods, desert, and mountain terrain and each of their own particular beauty.

Thankyou.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Buzzard1,
Glad you wrote. I was incorrect about that website. It is actually, Gary Reeder Custom Guns.
If you ever get up our way, give is a call and we'd love to visit with you, shoot with you, whatever.
I was stationed at Ft Hood in 1958 and half of 1959. We lived in Flat, Texas, which had only 30 people there and four of us were Army folks. I loved the people, the hunting and the fishing. Ranchers and farmers would leave ammo in their mailboxes if I'd shoot dogs, cyotes, foxes and, yes, deer. If I didn't poach deer and exceed the fish limits, our little family wouldn't have eaten very well.
This area has turned to sh*t since 1960, but maybe so has my body and mind ---so it all works out I guess.
Keep in touch, Buzzard1.
chuck

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Chuck,

We're up to our armpits in deer the last few years (and most of the rest of Texas too). Come back down and shoot all you can. Took a trip between Austin and Junction (about 2 1/2 hours) last weekend and I swear we saw a dead deer for every mile of highway.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi MikeG,
I cannot thank you enough for your information that I'd give anything to enjoy with you ! I'm 68 , soon to be 69, and I've led a very active life, each p0art of which has taken its toll on various parts of my body. I can remember back to when each body part took a hit with something or other as they were traumatic happenings. There is little I can do besides shopping, a little yard work, flying RC planes very seldom, flying stunt kites very very seldom anymore and MY BELOVED SHOOTING ALMOST EVERY WEDNESDAY. Then I spend the time between Wednesdays reloading and doing those things mentioned in between times of pure joy ! Gone are golfing, fishing, hunting, camping, touring in my motorhome ( to be sold soon) and sightseeing.
You are a wonderful person ( as every Texan was that I ever met) to welcome me to your bountiful, wonderful state. I wish you a great and happy holiday season and all the best that God can give you for all time to come.

chuck

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
csward
Not intended as a flame-but why would you get a 454 Casull knowing you had hand /wirst problems? Reason I asked is unless you intend to just shot 45 LC light loads your not getting the potential of the 454. So you would have been better off getting a 45 LC BH. Cheaper too!

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.454 RECOIL

HI GUNNUT45/454,

I DID NOT BUY THE .454. I DID NOT WANT A .454. I HAD BOUGHT A RUGER RANCH RIFLE THAT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE AND I WANTED TO DISPOSE OF AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. I HATED IT.

I DO LOVE LARGE, HEAVY HANDGUNS, BUT NEVER A .454.

A FRIEND'S SON HAD THIS .454 WHICH HE WAS HAVING TROUBLE RELOADING FOR. I TRIED TO SHOW HIM HOW TO DO IT PROPERLY, BUT BY THEN HE WANTED TO DISPOSE O0F IT AS BADLY AS DID THE RANCH RIFLE. HE SUGGESTED A TRADE. I ACCEPTED THE TERMS, TELLINJG HIM ALL THAT I DISLIKED ABOUT THE RANCH RIFLE AND MANY OF RUGER'S PRODUCTS. ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT ALWAYS GOLD.

HE IS HAPPY WITH THE RANCH RIFLE. THAT HE CAN KICK ROCKS UP ONTO A TARGET IS PLENTY CLOSE ENOUGH FOR HIM.

I AM HAPPY TO PUNCH CLOVER LEAFS IN PAPER TARGETS. THIS .454 HAS PROVEN IT CAN DO THIS AND WILL BE DEVELOPED ALONG THESE LINES. I DOUBT THAT ANYONE, EVEN YOU, CAN DO THAT WITH THE HEAVY LOADS IN THE .454.

I HAVE KILLED MY LAST GAME ANIMAL WITH GUN OR BOW AND DO NOT NEED THE POWER AVAILABLE OF THE .454, BUT IT IS NICE TO HAVE FOR TWO OR FOUR FOOTED PREDATORS. IN SUCH CASE, I DOUBT THAT I'D NOTICE RECOIL.

I ALSO GAVE AWAY MY CHERISHED S&W 629 CLASSIC, AND OTHER GUNS, AND DIDN'T KINOW HOW MUCH I'D MISS THAT 1 1/2", THREE-SHOT`100 YARD TACKDRIVER ( BIG TACKS).

MY HEARING IS NEARLY GONE, BUT I SPENT BIG BUCKS ON THE BEST ELECTRONIC EAR PROTECTORS AND THEY SHIELD ME FROM ANYTHING OVER 85 DB ( MOST ONLY GO DOWN TO 100 DB).

SO, WITH MY HEARING NOW PROTECTED, MY LOVE FOR LARGE, HEAVY HANDGUNS BEING ABLE TO LAY ON A SANDBAG LIKE A DOG AT MY FEET BY A FIRE, I'M BACK IN THE GUN BUSINESS OF LOAD DEVELOPMENT, ETC..

THERE ARE MANY REASONS WHY PEOPLE DO THINGS AND MOST REASONS ARE LOST TO THOSE WHO ASK WHY. THE REST OF THOSE ( A MINORITY) JUST WANT TO EITHER SATISFY THEIR CURIOSITY OR TO BE GIVEN A CHANCE TO DISPLAY WHAT THEY CONSIDER THEIR CHANCE TO DOSPLAY THEIR OWN GREAT KNOWLEDGE TO THE LESSER INFORMED PEOPLES.

IN THE OFF CHANCE THAT THIS LENGTHLY REPLY WILL AID SOME ONE, I OFFER IT TO THIS ESTEEMED FORUM---AND TO YOU, SIR, MR. GUNNUT, IN THE HOPES YOU WILL HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON AND THAT GOD WILL BLESS YOU ALWAYS.

CSWARD ( CALL ME, CHUCK, PLEASE)
:) :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
csward;

Keep the 454 whatever you shoot out of it. Just for bragging rights to you buddies. We value your experience and presence here so stay online.

I have a passion for heavy rifles and pistols myself.

Don

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HI DON,
ANYTHING I SHOOT NOWADAYS IS MORE BY ACCIDENT THAN ANYTHING ELSE, BUT i HAVE MADE MANY FRIENDS WITH WHOM I CORRESPOND OUTSIDE THE FORUM. YOU ARE PROBABLY CORRECT ABOUT KEEPING SOME THINGS OFF THE FORUM, AND I'LL TRY TO BE MORE THOUGHTFUL OF THAT.
I VALUE THE INTEGRITY, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES THAT FOLKS ON THE FORUM HAVE TRIED TO USE IN MY BEHALF. BUT I'M ONLY HUMAN. MAYBE i SHOULD HAVE ANSWERED WITH SOMETHING LIKE," BECAUSE I WANT TO." AND LEFT IT AT THAT. MAYBE NEXT TIME I WILL.
HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON AND GOD BLESS YOU.

CHUCK

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Chuck
Check out Gary Reeders latest offering for the real crazies the 500 Linebaugh Maximum BMF. The BMF is a 4 in barreled 5 shot packing gun capable of firing a 450g slug above 1500 fps. Just thinking about ought to make shooting the 454 a little smoother. Talked to Gary this afternoon and my new 500 Linebaugh Black Widow is on its way after a 9 month wait. Can't wait to get it into action, will let you know how it goes. Good shooting and Have a happy holiday season.
Jon T in SE Idaho

1 - 20 of 31 Posts