Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that several of the postings from .454 users have referenced their Encores.  My question is "what is the recommended barrel length for the .454 Encore, 10" or 14"?"  I would assume the powder used would affect the answer, so let's assume H110.

Thanks,

·
Registered
131 Posts
DOK, A BUDDY OF MINE HAS THE 12" AND WITH THE 300GR XTP OVER 31.5 GR OF W296 YIELDS 1825 FPS SAME CHARGE OVER A 310GR WFNGC 1860 FPS. I KNOW THERE ARE 10" BARRELS FOR THE ENCORE 454 BUT HAVE NOT SEEN THE 14" OFFERED.  THE CLOSED BREECH AND XTRA  FOUR TO FIVE INCHES OF BARREL NETS ABOUT 200 FPS OVER A 7 1/2" REVOLVER

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim,

I'm going to purchase one and wondered if the "rule of thumb" for 40-50fps/barrel inch held in this case -- particularly after the first 10 inches.  My particular interest is if H110 has extended it's energy within the first 10" or if the extra 4" for the 14" barrel will contribute the additional 40-50fps?  I realize an extra 200fps isn't going to make it an 200yd'er, but if the cost is cheap why not do it -- if 1800 is better than 1600, it follows 2000 is better than 1800?

I'll contact SSK and see if they offer the barrel in 14".  

I suspect I may get a response that suggests that if I want 14" barrels, why not buy a rifle -- or a rifle in 45-70 :)

Thanks again,

·
Registered
4 Posts
T/C offers the 454 in 12"  only now as a factory length, www.edstc.com did have some 10" and 15"  barrels.  Bullberry,  EA BRown, Virgin Valley and Thompson will make you a barrel to other lengths,   JD Jones will also.   The 14" is a contender length,  T/C never offered the encore in that length except through the  custom shop

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ben,

Appreciate the input and suspected as much.  I've never purchased a standard Contender or Encore, but rather have ordered them from SSK.  

Do you have any insight on the powder burning rates such that I can determine if the 14" (not as handy to carry) is worth the hassle versus the 10"?  If I'm not going to get the anticipated 40/50fps increase, then I'll stick with the 10".

Thanks,

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received the following response from my SSK correspondence: "I wouldn't go under 10" nor over 12'.  As I recall I got aorund 2100 from a 12" with one of the factory loads---either the 240 WW or 265 Cor Bon.  JD"

So I'll order the 12" -- 2100 is plenty for any of those man-eating rabbits here in Ioway.

Regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
DOK, looks like you got your question answered. All the information I have seen says to use the same powder in the T/C as you would in a rifle.  A few years ago Metcalf wrote an article in shooting times comparing various barrel lengths with the 454,  even if a person was a little skeptical of his data and applied a fudge factor to it I can't think of anything a longer barel would kill much better then the 12"" barrel,  the only reason I could see to get a longer barrel would be if you thought you might  have to put a brake on it and still wanted the full  12" length barrel.  

Re recoil I was at a local gunshow a couple of weeks ago and saw a new grip from T/C for the encore (to me it's new at least)  made of a soft rubber which probably would help with the bigger kickers compared to the wood one.  the fellow selling it also said pachymar has a part # for a decellerator grip for the encore, they just haven't started producing  it yet.    

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ben,

Thanks for the input on Pachymar's potential for a new grip.  My problem with both Encore and Taurus grips is my hands are relatively small and I have to tilt my hand to the right to get a reasonable trigger placement.  This causes most of the recoil to come back on the base of my thumb rather than the web -- which after awhile, becomes disconcerning.  The Bisley and Redhawk grips fit better, but I'm hoping someone comes up with a better fitting grip because I prefer the single shot pistols.

Thanks again and I'll keep my eyes on Pachymar,

·
Registered
39 Posts
DOK, have you tried the T/C rubber grip? I have small hands too, and this grip isn't quite small enough, but much better than the standard wood grip.

Wood grips can be doctored with a dremel tool, sandpaper and oil, but they don't last long from heavy pounding (and they sting with a big boomer).

Just as my doctored wood grips started cracking T/C came out with the rubber grip, now I look forward to Pachmayr releasing their grip for a possibly better fit.

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BrianK,

I have a Contender and Encore with rubber grips and they help, but still have the reach problem. When my hand is positioned correctly, about 1/2" of my finger is on the tirgger. Improving the trigger from 5.5lbs to 3.0lbs has helped (Contender only), but would still like to see a shorter distance between the back of the grip to the trigger.  That's one of the reasons I've purchased the Super Redhawk, grip allows better geometry for me.

Regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts