Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
471 Posts
The powders for the 454 Casull, I used H110/WW296 worked very well for power and accuracy, plenty of recoil to boot;) grain for grain both are almost equal till you get to the max loads, The lil Gun powder, I did not yet get to use, but loader gave me the lowdown on Lil Gun,LilGun has lower pressures equal to the higher pressure H110/WW296...better ignition&burns really clean, the ball powders have a coat on them to control the burnrate a different science. I will have to try some Lil gun out, I did not have a problem with H110/WW296 at all, after shooting 50 rounds of 300gr max loads I can feel my shoulder getting sore LOL time to rest my old bones. kicks like a 300 SWM.

The brass, Win brass worked well, resizes easer and easy to work with than Starline, hornady brass seemed to be on the softside when getting up into the max loads, over expanding in cylinders causing drag on extraction,didn't like that.

The bullets I tested with where Hornadys 300gr XTP's they shot very well , Speers golddots .451 shot as well, what a ashtray, Note:make sure when ordering you ask for the 45 either 451/452 mag for a 454, not the 45LC non canalure these are for lower pressures and fps same dia;)
Shot a few boxes of 45LC's bye winchester, felt like a cap gun compared to the heavy recoling 454's

The Rossi Puma 454 Casull accuracy using open sights where great. One inch groups at 50 yards standing, a great shooter...smooth action.

Good luck on your new Puma, Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

· Registered
471 Posts
454 Casull

Using a 300gr bullets, your FPS at max loads are around 2080fps close to what my 450 marlin shooting a 350 gr interlock at 2100fps not bad;)
using a 260gr around 2260fps...
both of the bullets where on top of either H110/WW296.
Chrono at mussel.
loader is doing some loads with the Puma, maybe after he is done testing some of his loads he can give you the lowdown, loader is good person to get your info from. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

· Registered
471 Posts
Gunnut45/454 you going to love your 450 Marlin, a great shooter, and like you said a good Big bear rifle. i found H4198 at 50 gr under that 350gr interlock gets as close as you can to the factory load when reloading, I also use CCI Mag Primers as well, 2180 fps. gunnut heads up if you mount a scope, drift that baby forward or else;) Standing not bad at all, but benched with hot loads, the 450 will rock your world for sure, good luck to your new Marlin. next week I am taking my 450 Guidegun/454 Casull German boar hunting, can't wait :) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

· Registered
471 Posts
I also owned a Rossi Puma, this is a good sound rifle, and very light also;) and packs a wallop, eating 10 rounds as well.
now you only have to carry one type of ammo, good deal. good backup LOL.You thought my big daddy was bad, Come meet my little baby maria. Good combo and good shooting. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

· Registered
471 Posts
Hornady 300gr XTP's

Gunnut45/454 I shot those Hornady 300gr XTP's and they were as hot as a mother;) They also got stuck in my friends ruger 454 Casull, he could not self-extract them, had to bang them out with a rod;( In the Puma they did have a good drag, but I was only extracting one case, I can say in the Puma 454 they where very accurate, there may be some soft brass out there. I spoke to hornady and a rep said they may of had some soft brass, ask me for the stock no# and said he would get back to me, that was 4 months ago;) I noticed using WinchesterX's/Partition golds factory loads, No drag what so ever. Partition where 260gr and where hot also, but nothing like those Hornady's, wow good kick to boot. The winchester x's were the most moderate loads for factory loads and where accurate as well.
Ilike the ashtrays on the XTP's & GoldDots, man they look nasty. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

· Registered
471 Posts
Gunnut45/454 sometimes these corps like Hornady may use a blend of powders, a big no no for us reloaders but under research and development these criteria's can be broken. This is why its hard to replacate some factory loads. I once asked a hornady rep if 50grs of H4198 using a 350gr Interlock with CCI mag loads in my Marlin 450 guidegun was the ticket, he stated your on the money, In this case they did not use a blend of powders, now mind you I got this load out of a April2002 guns&ammo, The speer load was 48max, I got a little more than 2100 fps,more like 2180, not bad, sometimes the climate plays in some also, when I shot those Hornadys 454 casulls for the first time, it was a blistering 85 in the shade. Shooting in colder climates lower the rate of burn decrease power. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.