Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might should oughta post this in the reloading section, but it is a lever action, so we'll try it here. Got a Puma on the way in .454 and I have a few questions, and this seems like the best place for them.

1. Who makes the best .454 brass and where can I acquire it at the best price?? Heard some arguments that Starline is better that WW, but I do not know.

2. Lil' Gun, H110, W296 are all common powders listed for this cartridge out of a handgun, but which powder would be most efficient out of a 20" barrel?

3. Obviously the rifle will push a bullet faster than a pistol with all other things being =. Anyone got a couple of cast bullets that come to mind that will be able to handle the increase in velocity when hitting those up close and personal shots? I do not want to load down, because I want to try to keep the trajectory as flat as possible if a longer shot presents itself.

4. Recommendations on dies? Heard good things about Lee's ability to put a good crimp on. Anyone hazard a guess as to the ability of a tubular mag as opposed to a revolver's cylinder to stop a bullet from jumping the crimp??

Thanks, LIV

· Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lotsa good info, Thanks, Any recommended loads. I understand the cautions about starting lower and working up etc. Any idea on what you are getting for velocity out of the 20" barrel?? Thanks again LIV

· Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gun Nut, Do you have a Rossi 454 coming, or a .450 Marlin. Either way, you are right, Gotta love those 45 calibers. AS far as I am concerned the 45-70, 454, and 450 Marlin are all good. Big bullets at around 2000 fps gotta hurt at the other end. LIV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.