Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Trapper04,

I'm sure you've observed the entrees in the LoadSwap database, all of which address what I'd call max. loads. My experience is with the 360gr. LBT bullets and I started at 22.5grs W296 and max'ed at 25grs with my 6" Taurus. The Cast Performance recommended starting load for the 454 335gr. LBT bullet is 25.0gr of W296. Considering the loads listed in LoadSwap, this would represent more than the recommended 3% max. powder reduction the powder manufacturer recommends. But on the other hand, the max. loads in LoadSwap appear to be Freedom Arms only type loads and on the high side. I'd suggest using the Cast Performance starting load and use Marshall's recommended process for determining max. loads for your particular revolver.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

DAn

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Trapper04,

Try this load:

BTB 45-340gLFNGC/26.0g H110/WSRP/Starline Brass

This will put you into the top 5% of the pressure envelope necessary for efficient burning of H110/W296, and yet be well within the pressure perameters of the Ruger SRH in .454.

As has been well pointed out, do work up your load carefully, and read this article if you haven't already.

http://shootersforum.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/15

This should get you on the right track!

Let us know how your loads work in that Ruger!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Trapper04,

You touch on one of the more popular topics; that is, is H110 and W296 the same powder or very similar powder. To make a long story shorter, I've checked four different loading manuals and the H110 and W296 loads do not vary more than .5grs.. So no problem with interchangability. I remember one post and another web site that quoted an email response from Hodgdon that said they were the same.

But with that said, please be aware that each lot of powder has potential for varing results. Thus, another good reason to "work up" the load whenever you change lots of powder.
I've had lots vary to the extent of a full grain difference for the same velocity.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts