Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble with my first 454 load.  I have been loading 45 colt loads for awhile and they turn out pretty good. My 454, which I'm loading 300gr. hornady jhp xtp mag. 30gr h110, good crimp. Now my problem. My velocity spread. 5 shot group 1639 high,  1392 low,  and in another group one even as low as 1134. Im shooting about 5 ft from my crono and its not too stable but not bad either.  Anyone have any ideas on this? I'v been reloading for quite awhile, but only what I can shoot and thats not as often as I would like. Any help on what my prob. could be would be appreciated.  thanks,  joe

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Way too close to the chrono!  I'm surprised that you haven't seen problems before, even with 'just' .45 Colt loads.  I had this happen once.

I'd start by shooting 10-12 feet from the first screen, to eliminate that as a potential problem, then see what kind of results you get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,  Being my chrono is so small as strange as it sounds I was afraid of shooting it. But I understand I need more distance there and thanks for the advice,  10  feets sounds good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
joe454, Shooting a chronograph? No one ever does that!! I remember crippling one of mine once!! And I put another round in it from the 475 to keep it down!! I was lucky as it was going nuts spinning around on the bench. Sorry just had to add that. As Mike pointed out 10ft should be about the min spacing. Muzzle blast will make them give irregular readings. SO WILL SHOOTING THEM!! Have fun
Jim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts