Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum,but read it quite often. I need help with my 454.srh. I don't know if it is my gun or my loads, but my hulls keep sticking in the chambers. I currently am shooting both cast&jacketed bullets. I need agood load for a 300 gr cast with either 2400 or 296. My gun loves a 300 cast with 27.5grs of 2400,about 2" at 50yrds, but my hulls have to be beaten out. I am using starline brass and cci 400 primers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also some good loads for 250, 300 gr xtp's. Thanks!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own a Taurus .454 and the same thing happens to me when I fire "high power" loads - particularly Hornady Custom Ammunition in 300gr XTP/MAG.  You can actually see the cylinder machining marks on the brass once it is removed from the case expansion.  My dealer did warn me about this as he owns the same gun.  So as not to break/bend the extractor rod I use a spent 30-30 case to push out the brass from the backside with my thumb.  Kind of bush league to have a new firearm that must be emptied in this fashion but it works.  At times during multiple firings in warm weather, I actually have to set the gun aside and let it cool a bit in order to get the brass out.

I started loading my rounds a little lighter than the max. and this made the problem less prevelant.  Be warned that all of the powder manufacturers have warnings about reducing the loads too much however, so be careful and step down slowly and be sure to watch for squibs in the barrel if you get too light.  I go back up to the full power loads for hunting, and deal with the shell extraction problem during sight-in.  I figure by the time I would ever have to fire five rounds in a hunting situation and would have to worry about extraction & reloading I probably don't deserve to be taking more shots anyway...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
If cases stick with factory loads then get on the phone to the manufacturer and make them fix it!  There is no excuse for that... although I have had several Rugers whose chambers were slightly rough, never one this bad.

Should you be inclined to tackle the problem yourself, check out the "Tech Notes" and scroll down to the bottom of the page where James Gates wrote an article on chamber polishing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my taurus likes 300g cast with 29g of h110

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I will try again this weekend. The only factory rounds I have shot were FA medium velocity loads, a [email protected], they came out of the gun fine, but they were not much of a load.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Jaytee  I have a SRH and I have put many many rounds through it.  Only one a few occasions have I had any problems extracting brass from the cylinder.  One was while working up a load to find out where my max was for a certain load.  And twice was while I was using new Winchester brass.  I should add that the load I was using was more than safe and the brass cracked upon firing.  At first I thought I had overcharged those rounds until I had three pieces of brass split while I was depriming them (factory primed cases).  I do not use factory primed cases for several reasons, but this brass was all I could find at the local gunshop.  I just deprime each one and go at it like I would the unprimed cases.

enough rambling

I would get your gun checked.  It sounds like there is some roughness or rough edges.  They should never stick unless there is a problem with the gun or the load.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got to shoot some hotter factory loads today, 260gr mag-tech, it took 15 mins to get the hulls out .the gun is going back to ruger!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts