Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
when you say slug the bbl, do you mean lap it? Because if you just push a lead plug through it will only tell what the smallest dia. is in the bbl. You can tell an oversized area by the lack of force needed to push the plug at that spot but not how much oversized it is.

·
Banned
103 Posts
If you can find a machine shop with an Air gage that would tell you the inside dia (I.D.) the full length of the bbl or you can use a set of plug gages dropped vertically from the cyl. end of the bbl (warning: use no more force than gravity alone) This would tell you if both ends are the same but not necessarily what the middle of the bbl is.
How many jacketed bullets have you put thru the bore? Are you sure that the bore is smooth? I would work on the bbl before I would go to bullets as big as.456
Whoa I just saw that your cyl gap was 60 thousandth, are you sure ? it should be more like .006 to.008 not .060. That would be a big problem.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Bigfoot makes a good point about cyl throats, Ruger is notorious for leaving them too small, but I don't think that would cause a velocity loss by itself. Poor accuracy yes.
Loader, you can't always expect book loads to run the same velocity as you get in your own gun. If you get within 100fps of the book data consider it good, but 300 fps is something else. You might contact Hodgon to see if there was a typo or editing error for that load.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts