Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody loaded the new winchester 260gr platinum tip bullets (originally designed for muzzleloaders) in a 454? If so, have you taken any large game with them? How well do they expand? I have shot them into a rail road tie and they did not expand at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
TJ
I found that there is almost no hollow point that will expand in wood. I have shot the XTP and Sierra's into wood without expansion.
You should stack some newspapers in a box put a couple of bones in about 3 inches deep soak it with water and shoot that for your expansion tests. Build it big like 40 inches or so. That will really tell you what a bullet is more likely to do on game.
Just my experience

Will

·
Registered
471 Posts
If your not getting expansion on a road tie, your not going to get it hitting flesh(animal), thats for sure, Take a ball-peen hammer take the bullet type your going to reload, set it upright on cement and whack it hard, you will get a idea how the jacket and lead will react, hit a few more times and you will see if the jacket separates from th lead, its very primitive but does give you a idea how the bullet reacts compared to others to impact. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts