Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I'm new to all this so please bear with me. I'm new to the shooting sport and find I enjoy it very much. I was turned onto this site by a friend who is a life long shooter. I have been reading all the posts about the Puma Model 92 in 454. Well I own one and fired it for the first time this afternoon. It was a great experience. I was used to shooting the model 92 in 45 LC. A bit more kick in the 454 version. I know why they added the shoulder pad to the stock! We used 2 types of loads in it. The first was the Winchester 250Gr HP. They fired well, but had a serious problem feeding. About a third of them jammed and it took a little bit of work to get them into the chamber properly. The next load we used was the Magtech 260Gr Jacketed flatpoint. No problems loading them at all. Both types were very accurate, but the Magtech had consierably more recoil. We were concerned about the hotter loads after we read some of the posts here, but after carefully inspecting the brass after we shot, there were no damaged casings, and the gun seemed to handle those rounds easily. Still, we are interested in loading it down, since we shoot indoors, and only kill paper. Does anyone have any info on loading the 454 down? Also I paid $379 for it here in OKC. That was the best price I could find.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Thanks for the report. A lot of people are asking about this gun, but seems that few have experience with it.

For lighter loads, several suggestions:

1. Just stick with the normal 'starting' .454 loads from published data. Obviously this will still be pretty warm loads!

2. Use the 30,000CUP .45 Colt loads from published data, but in .454 brass to keep chambers clean.

3. If you can find data for a particular bullet/powder combination in BOTH of the above, then you should feel reasonably safe picking some point in the middle.

4. Use any published .45 Colt loads in .45 Colt brass, making a sincere effort to thoroughly clean the chamber before shooting any .454 brass in it (probably more trouble than it is worth).

Have fun and keep us posted. I am rather intrigued by this little cannon myself, although too many other projects right now to be able to do anything with one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Greywolf:
for a light load in the .454 I've had good results (in my Taurus Raging Bull) with a 300 grain Oregon Trail over 10.5-11.5 grains of either Unique or Universal Clays. Launches that bullet about 1100 fps out of my 8.375" barrel, IIRC.
Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
454 Puma

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to my loading expert. I jnow he has tons of data on the 45 LC. He's just never loaded the 454 Casull. I'll keep you all posted on the results. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
A reminder if shooting 45LC in the puma or anyother 454 casull, make sure you clean before shooting 454 casull's, if not they will drag or even get stuck from the buildup from the 45LC, They are shorter. I have noticed more with the handguns, You will notice a drag in the Puma. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts