Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a handgun in .454 Casull, but a Freedom Arms is out of the (budget) question.
I've looked at a Ruger Super Redhawk (6 Shots) and a Taurus Raging Bull (5 Shots) and was wondering about relative strength(s), advantages, disadvantages etc.
I already have a Ruger SRH in .44 Mag so I'm aware of the weight and that is not a problem.
Before you ask "what am I going to use it for" I have no real use for it (I try to not let practicality affect my firearms purchases to much), I just think I might want it for plinking and blasting.  Thanks in advance for any info, willie

·
Registered
192 Posts
For my money I would have to say Ruger. Its just a safer bet if your planning on really doing some shooting. Just to be different, you may want to consider a Blackhawk, Bisley, or Redhawk in 45 Colt. This would allow the same power level for all intents and purposes, and the Redhawk would allow the use of the .500 inch nose bullets. Those heavyweights would be more at home with the shorter Colt case and the long cylinder of the Redhawk. Always felt the 5 inch version would be a fun gun. Another Super Redhawk may be one too many. I think the 454 is best in its original home, the Freedom Arms guns, using standard weight bullets at insane velocitys and the 45 Colt can be used for throwing around BIG bullets. One biased mans opinion. Enjoy whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have them both 44 & 454 SRH. Love them both. If you like the 44 SRH , you`ll like the 454. Same gun, more power.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Either revolver will siut the purposes you intend to use it for.  If the barrels are the same length, you have all the holsters and it's something you are used to. I've said this before and been blasted on other boards, but the Taurus is in my opinion a better built revolver than the Ruger.  Now, that ought to get the Rugerheads stirred up.  I've shot all three models and own the FA and Ruger-so there.  I am not a fan of the six shot .454.  I my opinion it is asking for trouble.  I've read all about the wonder steel ruger uses for the cylinder.  Frankly, there is more to it than just strength.  The Tauruses I have shot hold better and the extra metal between the chambers doesn't hurt either.  I've had the same load fall out of a Taurus that I had to use a squib load and hammer to drive out of my ruger.  It's been to the factory once and as I type this is on it's way to Mag-Na-Port to get some real work and rehab.  Now, after having typed all this, I have had more trouble with my SRH than anyone else I have heard from on the matter.  It's your choice when  it all boils down.  Ya pay ya money and takes ya chances.  Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A big THANKS to all for the info and suggestions provided.
It doesn't sound like either would be a real bad choice, and the .45 Colt is another interesting option as I have a Marlin chambered in .45 Colt already.
I'm going to a Gun Show tomorrow and will see what is around.
Thanks again,

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Willie,

All the posts here have good valid information that rings true!

I like your last suggestion... the .45 Colt.   Buy one in a Redhawk, and you'll get the ability to use bullets with a .500" Nose to Crimp length... then you can equal the performance of factory loaded .454 Casull with your handloads and the longer C.O.L. will preclude getting them mixed up and loaded into a gun that won't handle those pressures.  You'll have a great companion gun to the Marlin, and the ease of component availablility.  

Also the initial cash outlay will be considerably less than any model of .454 offered today!

This probably won't be a popular opinion, but that's all it is... an opinion, a very biased one!  FWIW

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Marshall for your "biased " opinion believe me it is very highly valued.
There is no particular reason for this gun hence there is no particular time frame in which I have to choose.
The ability to shoot either .45 Colt or .454 Casull was one advantage I was thinking of, but if I can achieve factory .454 levels with reasonable handloads in .45, then I don't see the interchangability as much of a real advantage.
Thanks again, and all of God's best to you and your's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well folks, as a closing chapter to this thread and probably an opening chapter to another one, two weeks ago I went ahead and bought a SRH in .454/.45.

I also bought a box (had to have) of Hornady 300 grain factory .454 rounds.  I must say shooting them was rather exhilarating to both the hand and the wallet.

Last evening I attempted to slug the chambers and barrel using Veral Smith's recomended egg sinkers.  The ones I purchased were only about 2 Rockwell points harder than ball bearings!!  I did get 1 started into the bore far enough to engrave the rifling and it appears to mike out about .4525 at the muzzle while a bullet (sized .452) driven all the way through the barrel measures .4515 to .452.

The chambers are smaller (although I did not slug and measure them yet) because even after the bullets were driven through the barrel they will not thumb fit through the chambers.

I hope this info helps others, and I will try to keep my progress poste if anyone else is interested.

thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts