Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a handgun in .454 Casull, but a Freedom Arms is out of the (budget) question.
I've looked at a Ruger Super Redhawk (6 Shots) and a Taurus Raging Bull (5 Shots) and was wondering about relative strength(s), advantages, disadvantages etc.
I already have a Ruger SRH in .44 Mag so I'm aware of the weight and that is not a problem.
Before you ask "what am I going to use it for" I have no real use for it (I try to not let practicality affect my firearms purchases to much), I just think I might want it for plinking and blasting.  Thanks in advance for any info, willie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A big THANKS to all for the info and suggestions provided.
It doesn't sound like either would be a real bad choice, and the .45 Colt is another interesting option as I have a Marlin chambered in .45 Colt already.
I'm going to a Gun Show tomorrow and will see what is around.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Marshall for your "biased " opinion believe me it is very highly valued.
There is no particular reason for this gun hence there is no particular time frame in which I have to choose.
The ability to shoot either .45 Colt or .454 Casull was one advantage I was thinking of, but if I can achieve factory .454 levels with reasonable handloads in .45, then I don't see the interchangability as much of a real advantage.
Thanks again, and all of God's best to you and your's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well folks, as a closing chapter to this thread and probably an opening chapter to another one, two weeks ago I went ahead and bought a SRH in .454/.45.

I also bought a box (had to have) of Hornady 300 grain factory .454 rounds.  I must say shooting them was rather exhilarating to both the hand and the wallet.

Last evening I attempted to slug the chambers and barrel using Veral Smith's recomended egg sinkers.  The ones I purchased were only about 2 Rockwell points harder than ball bearings!!  I did get 1 started into the bore far enough to engrave the rifling and it appears to mike out about .4525 at the muzzle while a bullet (sized .452) driven all the way through the barrel measures .4515 to .452.

The chambers are smaller (although I did not slug and measure them yet) because even after the bullets were driven through the barrel they will not thumb fit through the chambers.

I hope this info helps others, and I will try to keep my progress poste if anyone else is interested.

thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts