Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned this "Raging Bull" for about a year now and I've not come up with a soulution yet. Maybe someone here can help.

I consistently (all of the time) get stuck cases when firing .454 casull. I either have to push them out with a spent rifle case or use a brass punch to tap them out. There are machining marks on the cases when I remove them from the cylinder walls. I've tried polishing out the cylinders (they're stainless steel), and several different brands of factory ammo as well as reloads. I've not tinkered too much with my reloads as all of the data warns not to leave too much empty space in the case, i.e. W296 Winchester load data. .45 LC in all configurations works fine. One of the five cylinders is particularly tight, so I am assuming that there is some difference in size with relation to the others. The mouth of the cartridges seem to retract after firing, but the bases do not and that seems to be where much of the "sticking" comes from. Using the factory extractor push rod is out of the question.

I am thinking about having the cylinders machined out slightly and machine polished on a mill. Is this a good idea? Do any of you have a concensus as to the maximun/minimum sizing for the cylinders?

It's a nice gun and shoots straight and with a 2x scope I was able to drop a nice Mulie this year right in his tracks at 87 yards so I'd rather not give up on it. For hunting, five(5) shots is plenty, but it's intolerable at the range to have to get out tools after firing only five(5) rounds::mad:

Thanks for any help.

Cooter

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Send it back - a gun that will not function with factory ammo is absolutely defective, no question about it. You don't know if it's merely rough chambers, or something else that is causing excessive (dangerous!) pressures. Not worth risking your health. Box it up and send back to Taurus.....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
cooterMN
I agree with Mike G I was thinking you had the dreaded Honady Brass problem but you said it does this with everything you put in it ? It sounds like they made the chambers alittle tite! Send it back and don't tell them you tried to fix it or you might be stuck-warantee thing you know.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have been reloading 454 Casull for about two years and what I have found is a problem extracting curtain factory loads and reloads at the max loads. The 300gr XTP's Hornadys are really bad, I think they might have a problem with softbrass, I also noticed reloading using H110&WW296 at max loads using the 300gr Hornady XTP did the same in my Puma and SuperRedHawk, Im talking really bad in the SuperRedHawk, had to use a rod to tap them out one bye one:(, the extractor would not extract at all in the revolver. In the Puma they dragged extracting and left dragmarks on the cases, Using lighter head at max loads ejected with ease using the SuperRedhawk & the Puma,In tern I called Bruce Palmer a rep for Hornady, He stated at first there could of been some bad brass gone out in the market, so he asked for the stock no# on the boxes of bullets we bought from Hornady, he said he would research this for me and get back to me via email, He wrote back and stated he ran tests through 3 revolvers using the 300 gr Hornadys, Raginbull/SuperRedHawk/American Arms,He found that the Rageingbull&American Arms shot well with no hangups but the SuperRedHawk had 3 cylinders that hungup, he said that Ruger is known to have undersized cylinders or not finished good enough for the spec's needed to extract these hot cases. Said nothing about soft brass again. I have heard about undersized cylinders in other forums, but this still don't tell me why my Puma was having a hard time extracting cases using hot loads,when reloading used Hornady&Win brass, they both had problems using the 300gr in the hot zone. Just some things I have noticed reloading and shooting factory loads for the 454 Casull. Hope this helps. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

P.S. I called back BPalmer and told him about my Puma also displaying the same results and he said he would take it to the tech dept and get back to me, it has been 4 months and no call back;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I believe that it must be an individual gun problem. I have a Taurus 454 and shoot the 300 gr. Hornady with max. charges of 296 in Starline and WW brass and have never had any difficulty extracting spent cases. No question about it, send it back to Taurus!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree send it back have been reloading 300 and 335 grain cast to max no problems with my raging bull I also have shot hornady brass 240 grain factory which is hot at 2000fps at the muzzle no problem easy extraction send it back dude it could prove to be dangerous for you wiith a heavier bullet shot at max pressure it may rise too high.

·
Banned
432 Posts
You should surely send it back. My Super Redhawk was really having problems with stuck cases so I sent it back to Ruger. I had only shot 25 or bullets out of the new gun before I could not stand it anymore. Words of advice, Ruger asked me several questions that Taurus may ask you. Was it Hornady ammo? NO. Are you shooting factory ammo? YES, not reloads. Have you done anything to fix it? NO. In my case these were all true because I had only had the gun a month. But be prepared with the "right" answers. What was also helpful is I sent them one of the actual cases that got stuck. It was all scratched up and could not even be put back into any of the cylinders. Then sent it out. I acutally got it back one week later, including shipping time. I was very pleased. They opened up and polished the cylinders, open the cylinder throats, and made a slight bevel in the cone of the barrel. Took it out this past week and shot the same ammo from the same box and not one sticky. 260gr Winchester Partitions. FYI After you get it fixed, and say that because you should send it back. Heck I'd never turn down free gunsmithing. Anyways, after you get it back try shooting lead bullets. They make less pressure at the same velocity and are less likely to stick cases.

Bill.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
I've put around 500 max. rounds thru my Taurus 6.5" 454 and have never had a stuck brass problem. My most accurate max. load is the 360gr. bullet at 1400 fps (best I can get from this Taurus) which drops brass out of the cylinders without any hesitation. I suspect Taurus can help with your problem and would certainly give them a try before any home remedy attempts.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts