Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to purchase a new Super Redhawk but can't decide on which caliber to get. I keep going back and forth trying to compare these 2 cartridges. I only shoot cast bullets in handguns and the .480 data looks rather interesting now that some handloading data has come out. Has anyone else been through this same dilemma? Any thoughts or opinions on differences between the two?

·
Registered
251 Posts
In the Super Redhawk the .480 is much more controllable; the .454 in that gun is a real beast for a lot of shooters.  The .454 will churn up a lot more energy, but that advantage goes away when the bullet weights get above 360 grains or so.   The .480 works at about 20k psi less pressure, so the gun would likely live longer, although either would likely outlive you unless you shoot them a LOT.  Both will kill anything that walks if you do your part.  
Good shooting
Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
The .480 was developed to "bridge the gap" between the .44 and the .454 in terms of power.  If you want a revolver with more power than the .44, but are sensitive to recoil, get the .480.  If you want the meanest six- shot double action revolver on the planet, the .454 SRH is the choice.
-Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts