Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any experience loading and shooting the 455 GNR cartridge? Additionally how it compares to the 454 both recoil/balistic potential?

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I don't know when Reeder first introduced that cartridge (475 Linebaugh necked down to 45 caliber) but it's got to be pretty new, since it's not listed on his website's cartridge page or in the reloading book that I bought for his various creations.

I haven't done enough with my 358GNR yet to offer much in the way of experience, but it was easy to form the cases and I am hoping it will perform well. I will continue to post on my 358GNR thread, as I develop more loads/data.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got off his web sight a while ago. That is where I found out about the 455 GNR. Reeder said in his note pages that the 455 will be in the speer reloading manual soon. I don't expect it to be much different than your 358 GNR when it comes to reloading. The only thing I could find out from Reeder is that the 455GNR is equal to the 454 without the kick. I was just wondering about balistic performance due to extra case capasity.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I think it's important to understand the relationship between case capacity, operating pressure and the laws governing internal ballistics. Gary can be a bit "optimistic" with regard to the performance of the cartridges he makes, although I think they are interesting and useful. I guess I would be very surprised to see any of the GNR cartridges listed in the Speer manual, or any other but his own, as they are not that popular. I would expect to see the 375JDJ, or one of his other offerings, before a GNR round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure you are right about Reeders claims, being he is trying pump up his reputation. What I'm looking at doing is re-chambering my Reeder 5 shot 45LC. I was thinking of the 454 but when I read about Reeders 455NGR I thought I would check it out. I had some concerns about bullet jump when shooting the pistol because of the short case neck on the 455. But the case has 8% more case capacity which intrigues me. In the mean time I will be reading your 358GNR thread to see what you come up with and what you think of it.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Sam,

I went to the 358GNR because I wanted something a little bigger and, to be perfectly honest, a little "different" to hunt deer with, in a rifle configuration (while staying within Indiana game laws). Mine is an H&R SB2 frame that started life as a 22" 357 Magnum barrel. Gary reamed the chamber out to fit the larger case and I'm working up loads that will be suitable for deer hunting, here in Indiana.

Personally, I can't say that I would ever want to shoot a revolver that generates more power, at either end of the gun, than a hot 45LC, but to each his own. The thing that concerns me about the 455GNR is that it is a bottle-necked case in a revolver and we've all heard the stories about set-back and locked up wheels. I guess if it's designed right, it will work. I don't mind a little expense and work to get better performance, but I'm not sure if that logic applies to revolvers, for me, personally. In your shoes I'd either stick with the 45LC or go with the 454, if you really want more power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts