Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For historical reasons I am curious about this veteran of Her Majesty's armed forces. Does anyone know about standard loads (bullet types, MV, typical working pressures, etc.)? I don't expect the top break action was suitable for what are now considered hot loads. When was the Webley retired from British service? Did it hang on in the Commonwealth? No particular reason, just curious. Thanks,
Fred.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Here’s what I’ve got on the .455 Webley (.455 Webley Revolver Mark II).

Adopted in 1897 to replace the .455 Webley Mark I, a blackpowder cartridge.

It was used up through WWII, although it was partially replaced in the 1930s by the .380/200 (.38 S&W).

Military load was a 265 grain FMJ, .454” diameter, with a muzzle velocity of 600 FPS.

I don’t have pressure figures but a 265 grain bullet over 3.4 grains of Alliant Red Dot, 685 FPS, produces a pressure of 12,300 CUP, so I would guess that the military load produced somewhat less. Alliant has load data on loads no higher than 12,700 CUP, indicating a relatively low pressure limit.

Lee Precision makes dies to reload this cartridge.

Rim diameter - .531”
Rim thickness - .039”
Case diameter - .478”
Case Length - .760”
Overall length of military cartridge - 1.260”

The .380/200 military load, which replaced the .455, was loaded with a 200 grain bullet at 630 FPS - no real improvement over the Webley that I can see. It also appears to be a very low pressure cartridge - the highest pressure listed for this cartridge in my load data for it is 11,500 CUP. Which has nothing to do with the .455, I just got carried away.

Reloading data I have (I’m back to the .455 again) shows loads as high as 770 FPS with a 265 grain bullet, so it is capable of generating a fair amount of thump on the receiving end at close ranges.

About two years ago my local gun shop had a nice Webley, asked $200, sold it for $170. I wasn’t bright enough to grab it. I owned one many years ago but sold it when I went into the army. Back then ammunition was available, but I imagine it’s sort of scarce now, at least at at shooting prices.

That’s it - I got nothing else except some reloading information.

DC

·
Banned
104 Posts
Here is a bit more info on the cartridge.I can see what else I have and pass it on to you if you like. Message me.

I am still in search of a webley. I do however regularly shoot a colt new service in 455 eley, and a smith new century hand ejector also in 455.

http://hem.bredband.net/b102212/cartridge_data.html

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone - this has been interesting. How times change when we start to think of .44 mag as a wienie cartridge (compared to the Casulls, Linebaugh's, .480 Rugers, and .50 Smiths) and then look over our shoulder at what was once considered a perfectly adequate military round. Just puts things in perspective.
Fred

·
Registered
44 Posts
THIS SITE IS OLD AND OUT OF DATE 2003, nothing comes up. TOO BAD WOULD HAVE BEEN INTERESTING TO SEE.

·
The Shadow
7,467 Posts
Or, use the Wayback machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts