Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, anybody usin this mold for their .458 wm. tryin to holdout till marshall can get an order out. wanting to try some bullets in the right dia. before buyin all the casting stuff.

thanks halfbreed

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I use the Saeco 540gr FNGC and their 405gr PTGC in my 458 WM. They both are accurate. The lighter is a good choice for 4570 or light 458 loads.

I have an NEI 440 gr FNGC that shoots ok but doesn't feed from the magazine ( Win Mod 70 ).

Have fun.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bigfoot, thanks for the reply, i have just recently bought a cz-550 in 458 wm.
i am trying to find a bullet between 450-500gn. cast fngc.
i have looked at ballisticast, they have a few that might work. i have been too busy to try out marshalls 450gners. if any luck at all, i will get to try them out sometime this weekend. i was hoping to find a 450gn gc mold that would give about 2200-2300 fps.

what kind of bullets, mold and lube do you find to work. i am just starting with this caliber, any help would be greatly appreciated.

halfbreed

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I use an alloy of wheel weights and lead from an industrial source ( similar to WW ). Add enought tin for good fillout and drop into water from the mould. They come out hard, they can't be scratched with a thumb nail.

Any of the above bullets shoot well, the 405 gr the best. After reading about high velocity pistol bullets I use a soft moly lube. I realize that there is discussion about what is better, this seems to work for me.

They are sized to .459, good crimp, the proper dose of 4895.
I use 4895 because it is available for a reasonable price and works in 458 WM, 444 Marlin, and 45-70.

I do get some leading but I believe it has more to do with the high volume of rounds I tend to shoot. The barrels get a little warm, especially in the summer heat. It does scrub out easily with ED'S RED and JB.

The 458 should reach over 2100fps with the 405 - 440 bullets easily.

Enjoy.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello bigfoot, thanks for the reply, i tried to order the lyman master casting kit from midway. but they are sold out. and won't be available till about august 20? oh well.
i have asked about the lee sizer kits, most people say it is good for the pistol calibers, but not much of anything for the rifles. hopefully soon i will be able to get this show on the road.
i so far have 5, 5 gallon buckets of ww, just waiting to be cleaned. i figured ww dropped into a bucket of water should be good for my use.
hunting and shooting anything this side of the big ponds.

later halfbreed

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You are on the way! The casting kit is just fine. I find the ladle works better for rifle bullets, they are more consistant weight. The bottom pour pots are good for volume.

The Lee sizing dies are good. They are even a little better for rifle bullets for BPCR shooting, they are easier on the bullet itself. The only drawback is lubing the bullets first.

WW work fine, you may have to add a small amount of tin to get good fill out in the moulds. 1 % or less should work.

Have a good time.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bigfoot, the more posts i read, the more it seems people who use/have used lee sizer equipment, they like it. i think i will order one soon.

midway also has a chronograph on sale for about $76.00. this will help as well.
actually this is what i am waiting for. it should be in on the 5th.
on the quenched ww's, if there is not good mold fill out, i will try a little chilled magnum shot mixed in. i have read that 1/2 cup #4 chilled mag shot should be about right for 20lb of ww.

halfbreed

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
saeco mold #019

ok all, i understand how to lap out an aluminum mold, but is a cast iron mold the same, just more time consuming?
this is the saeco magnum 465 gn, fngc double cavity.
if i can open this mold out to .462" then size down to .4605-.461, then i will be in business.
thanks halfbreed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts