Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been told many stories of the 458WIN MAG being under powered,bad penetration etc due to powder clumping etc and that is why i was thinking the LOTT was the way to go. However i met another Zim PH and his Client recently(who is GUN NUT to be polite) and they both told me that the stories of the 458WIN MAG being under powered, powder clumping,bad penetration etc is all a thing of the past. Can anyone please tell me their opinions on this.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Why not just get a 460 weatherby . Despite recoil , with 450 grainers it should be like a heaavy load from 12 ga 3.5" in a lite gun . But wieighing 11+ lb And muzzle brake it is very tamable .And it penetrates up to 36" of elephant meat with 500 grains round nose.Also belted mountain makes a 400 grain .458 bullet punch which is like a super fmj .That can be loaded to 2700-2800 fps . Or contact A-square and get a 577 t-rex or american hunting rifles which have a smoother action and better looking stock overall. If you want low recoil you can build up a gun to be heavy bty using s 50 bmg action or 408 cheytac action and heavy weighted sunthecti stock .Depends if you want to keep the recoil under 95 ft lbs . Then again the recoiling velocity is more important than overaall recoil

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not just get a 460 weatherby . Despite recoil , with 450 grainers it should be like a heaavy load from 12 ga 3.5" in a lite gun . But wieighing 11+ lb And muzzle brake it is very tamable .And it penetrates up to 36" of elephant meat with 500 grains round nose.Also belted mountain makes a 400 grain .458 bullet punch which is like a super fmj .That can be loaded to 2700-2800 fps . Or contact A-square and get a 577 t-rex or american hunting rifles which have a smoother action and better looking stock overall. If you want low recoil you can build up a gun to be heavy bty using s 50 bmg action or 408 cheytac action and heavy weighted sunthecti stock .Depends if you want to keep the recoil under 95 ft lbs . Then again the recoiling velocity is more important than overaall recoil

The reason i am looking at 458 win mag or 458LOTT is the price range aswell as availability of ammo in Zim, do not reload so will be relying on factory ammo. Of which there is 458win mag everywhere in Zim and southern africa for that matter. LOTT amo more expensive and less available but still around.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i think you got good advice from the other PH. having spent a considerable amount of time hunting in Africa, i know your ammo concerns are an important factor.
the three PH's i've hunted with in Zim., with a combined total of over 75 years exp., all use .416 cal. and swear by them. as do I. far more versatile with plenty of stopping power, so don't rule them out.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The 458 Lott is the logical choice. If the need arises 458 Win can be shot in the Lott chamber giving more versitility.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Why not just get a 460 weatherby . Despite recoil , with 450 grainers it should be like a heaavy load from 12 ga 3.5" in a lite gun .

Ummmmmmm..................... no. Not even in the same universe together. :cool:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Apparently the powder issue situation was a problem which developed shortly after the introduction of the .458 Win Mag. I believe it has long since been resolved. As jwp475 noted, you can fire .458 Win Mag in a .458 Lott chamber, but if the rifles in .458 Lott are much more expensive you shouldn't have any problems with the .458 Win Mag.

·
Banned
490 Posts
The .458 got a bad rep due to problems with some factory ammo decades ago. Modern .458 factory ammo is trouble-free and modern powders allow the .458 to live up to its potential. Despite the fact that you still see a lot of criticism of the .458 on the internet, it is still the most popular stopping cartridge among professional hunters and game cullers in Africa.

The .458 will easily drive a 500 grain bullet at 2150 fps and there are factory loads that do over 2200. The .458 Lott is a great cartridge, but when loaded to similar pressures it beats the .458 by only about 80 fps.

A good 500 grain bullet at 2100 fps will do anything that needs to be done against dangerous game in Africa, or anywhere else.

·
Banned
397 Posts
A friend of mine recently came back from Africa. He shot a Cape Buffalo with a .375. I asked
him why he didn't shoot his .458 Lott. He said it was just to big and kicked too much. He found
the .375 to be a really good cartridge. These are not my experiences they are my friend's.

Zeke

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Zimguide I'll give you my take on the .458 Win mag! First of all this business of powder and "squib loads" coming out the barrel was years ago, I have never had a problem with either of my two Winchester's model 70's (classic & pre-64) in .458 magnum caliber. Now the one with 24 inch barrel was re-chambered in the .458-LOTT several years ago and it does drive 500 grain bullets a bit faster than the older .458 win mag.

The great thing about the .458-LOTT as was mentioned earliar is the ability to use both .458 Win mag and .458-LOTT ammo when needed. Many who have hunted with the .458 Win mag, went to those 450 grain Barnes bullets a decade or two ago and have had very good results the way I understand.

It's like having one of those V-8 vehicles that only will use 6 of those 8 cly when needed. Thus it saves you money in the gasoline department. The LOTT is very versatile and it sure does get your attention with full MAX loads you bet. If I ever hunted those big tuskers (are there any left?) I would want that LOTT plain and simple. You honestly will have the best of both worlds with the LOTT!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's no flies on the WinMag these days ..

I am on Lott #4 , A CZ550 .. I would get the Lott , as you can run Win Mags thru it ..

416 is more versatile , but the 458 is a better stopper ..

2300 can easily be attained with the VV540 powder in the Lott , tho' I think that is the practical safe limit .. I have pegged a few close to 2400 , but will never tell the load data ..

Any velocity a manufacturer lists is highly suspect in my book ..

375 is a "good" buff round , when things go right , when things go wrong a Lott can seem like a BB gun ..

Ask me how I know this ..

For DG , I will use nothing smaller than a 416

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree with some of the other posters. It is my understanding that the powder issues you are referring to were from days gone by, and not an issue with modern, current day powders.

Are you planning an African hunt? If so, you might want to also consider the .416 Rigby.

·
Registered
233 Posts
458-under powered-i think not

i have been told many stories of the 458WIN MAG being under powered,bad penetration etc due to powder clumping etc and that is why i was thinking the LOTT was the way to go. However i met another Zim PH and his Client recently(who is GUN NUT to be polite) and they both told me that the stories of the 458WIN MAG being under powered, powder clumping,bad penetration etc is all a thing of the past. Can anyone please tell me their opinions on this.
respectfully,your info is from left field.show me a critter,that is shot with proper bullet placement,that survives a clean hit.--its so much a no brainer.if you want a lott.buy it. it will do all that a 458 does and vice a versa.-good hunting

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree with the others. I have a lott and in a pinch you can shoot win mag ammo out of it. To me its a no brainer. The lott can be loaded down or up depending on what you like. There is alot of recoil but its to be expected from caliber like this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts