Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question on another forum, thought I'd ask here also. I have a new H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70. I will be purchasing hard cast bullets very soon to load myself. I am not new to reloading, just new to hard cast bullets and new to the 45-70. I cannot afford to purchase different sizes right now and I do realize each gun is different and likes certain loads better than others, but......I slugged my barrel today and it measures right about .458. Some people on the other forum said I should use .459 for hard cast and .458 for jacketed, although they did say this before I slugged my barrel and were just assuming the factory bored my barrel correctly. Others on that forum stated I could use .458 hard cast no problem and that it would obturate if need be to something more. I am purchasing 250 405gr hard cast bullets at a very good price but they are available in either .458 or .459. Which size to buy is my dilema. Some folks have said I would probably do alright with either size. What do any of you think about this? I guess I'm pretty sure I could use either one OK, but I'd prefer to make an informed wise decision based on facts and experience if at all possible. Opinions are welcome also, but will be treated as such. Thank you, David.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cturpin for the reply, appreciate it. Do you know the actual bore of your barrel? It doesn't really matter because they work well for you, but I am curious. I believe you that .001 or .002" over slugged bore size is the usual rule of thumb but I have been noticing something......The greater majority of hard cast manufacturers have .458 NOT .459", why is that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Red Pepper for the reply. Out of curiousity, is the rate of twist for your gun 1:20 or ? Also, thank you 45_ 70 Sharps for the heads-up on the bullet supllier, I appreciate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.