Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else interested in a .458 on the 416 ruger/375 ruger case?
Imagine .458 Lott performance in standard length action.
Given that the parent case for the .458 Lott, the .375 H&H, and the new ruger case have almost the same case capacity, I would expect similar performance.
Has anyone you know of already done this?
Do you think ruger/hornady will come out with something like it in the future?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I'm sure its in the works. With the #1 already in .375 Ruger, only a barrel change would be necessary for the 458 Ruger.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Maybe difficult for me to decide if a 458 were available, I recently purchased a 416 Ruger. :)

Imagine a 500. :cool:

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The 416 is pretty impressive as it is, a 500 would be cool, but 458 would probably be the max of my purchasing interest.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Actually, not a bad idea. You could load it to upper end 45/70 levels as I would do with AR. Deer/Hogs/Black Bear, load warmer for Big bears/Moose & the 500 gr. solids for Africa in a package that is easy to handle. It is somewhat heavier but not that much bigger than my 45/70XLR, hmmm.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Nomoresendero..........I really don't need a 500 grain bullet for Arkansas Hogs or deer! I have used my .458 Win mag with & 350 & 400 grain bullets. They stop hogs in their tracks, deer shot through the lungs are going to run just a bit just like any other caliber. Do give my regards to all those folks down at Black Oak, Monette, Hardy and Craighead county.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nomoresendero..........I really don't need a 500 grain bullet for Arkansas Hogs or deer! I have used my .458 Win mag with & 350 & 400 grain bullets. They stop hogs in their tracks, deer shot through the lungs are going to run just a bit just like any other caliber. Do give my regards to all those folks down at Black Oak, Monette, Hardy and Craighead county.
Might want to look at my post again, I did not say anything about 500 grain bullets for AR Hogs, Bear or Deer. I only mentioned 500 gr for African stuff. I was in reference to bullets UP to 350-400 gr upper 45/70 loads for that & for NA Big Game as well & like I said maybe 500 gr. for African. And actually, I used the 300 Nos. Part. to great effect on some AR critters.

Yes, I spend some time in all of those areas.;)

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Sorry I misread your post! I got to were I just sort of skip through things as my eyes won't stand much of a reading session anymore before they start to water up, blurr and beging to hurt a bit.

I did shoot a 277 pound bore once with the .458 mag, using a Barnes 500 grain solid! Yep, it just plowed clean on through his front end and exited out the rear of the critter. It did not set him back on his rearend as I might of thought but it did bring things to a halt after 15 yards or so. Next time I used a 400 grain expanding bullet and it was a whole different seniero and put that big hog down much quicker..............Like a 5 ton truck hit him head on.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts