Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since Marty's site is down (458socomforums).. and has been down for some time. We've decided to start another forum dedicated to the 458 SOCOM platform. There is not much there yet, but there is some load data, and other misc stuff. This is a free to register VB forum, and the more 458S users we can get, the better our forum will be.

The forum is www.the458socom.com

This forum piggy backs on our local offroad forum (Usually guns and wheeling go hand in hand) which is why we made that decision. If we can get enough traffic and interest, we will start a new, dedicated forum, exclusively to 458 Users.

Thanks guys, hope that wasn't too much

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and have fun. Other rules are in stickies.

I don't have any source of information for the .458 SOCOM other than QuickLOAD, which suggests best velocity performance among the most widely available powders and without compression will be with H4198 for both bullets. Other powders do well, but that one would be my first choice to start working loads up with both bullets.

I don't know the exact crimp cannelure locations for those bullets or the water capacity of your particular cases, but if I assume 2.31" COL and 61.6 grains of case water capacity, then the starting loads will be in the upper thirties of grains and maximums will be in the low forties. CAUTION! This is just a computer model and may be off. I would err low and work up carefully.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Nick, what pressure is QuickLoad telling you? (35kpsi is max IIRC)
Yep, QL lists the 458 SOCOM with a max pressure of 35,000psi. Reloder 10X looks like it would also be an excellent choice for this cartridge size and pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts