Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recommendations for handloads to use in my Ruger No1 in 458 win mag.  I think the 400 and 450 gr bullets would be best.  Is there a limit to how much velocity beartooth bullets should be used for?  A 45-70 standard velocity type light load and some maximum loads would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I wish I could help, but I cannot.  I have a Ruger M77 and Marshal and I tried darned near everything we could think of to get that rifle to shoot lead.  It groups sub MOA with any jacketed bullet, but every bullet I've tried from 300 to 550 gr. .458 diameter to .460 (slugs .458), gas check, plain base, IMR 3031, Re #7,...it just won't shoot lead.  The throat is so long in my rifle that there is no way to seat even 500 gr. bullets anywhere near the lands and still work through the action or have any bullet left in the case.  I finally gave up and am sticking with jacketed.  I hope you won't have this trouble, but I though I would pass on my experiences since we both have Rugers.  Good luck and if you find something that works drop me a line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I hate to admit it but I have never even shot a paper target with my 458, the recoil is stiff as you know.  I didn't get scope rings when I bought the gun new at a gun show, the dealer must have kept them.  I may try a muzzle break.  Thanks again for sharing info and thanks Marshall for this site and forum!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jim,

My Ruger #1 is chambered in 416 Rigby. Recoil is healthy to say the least. Heres what helped tame mine.

I had a 1 inch hole drilled along the length of the buttstock. My gunsmith buddy did this for me, stocks were his specialty. I don't remmber how deep the hole went but I was able to get a pound of copper plated shot mixed in a two part epoxy into the hole. Then I had a 1 inch thick Pachmayer Decelerator pad installed. Life was much better after that.

I think a muzzle break on the #1 is something of a crime. It ruins the classic looks of the rifle. Try my cure first and see if it helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Jim,

Sorry for not answering you right away... had to dig up my notes on the .458 Winchester.

As mentioned by Big Bore, the key to getting accuracy out of the .458 Winchester with heavy loads is to make sure that the bullet engraves the rifling slightly upon chambering.   Some rifles have throats that are terribly long, but most will shoot cast superbly... although there are exceptions, they definitely are not the rule.   My experience has shown that the .458 is overall a superbly accurate cast bullet cartridge!

Here are some good, rather top end, proven cast bullet loads.  These should get you going!

BTB .460"-405g LFNGC/65.0g H4198/WLRP/Win Brass/2210 fps
BTB .460"-405g LFNGC/52.0g XMP-5744/WLRP/Win Brass/2211 fps
BTB .460"-405g LFNGC/77.0g W748/WLRP/Win Brass/2311 fps
BTB .460"-405g LFNGC/71.0 IMR 3031/WLRP/Win Brass/2214 fps
BTB .460"-405g LFNGC/68.0g RL-7/WLRP/Win Brass/2341 fps

BTB .460"-450g LFNGC/81.0g RL-15/WLRP/Win Brass/2230 fps (requires using 10" drop tube)
BTB .460"-450g LFNGC/50.0g XMP-5744/WLRP/Win Brass/2093 fps
BTB .460"-450g LFNGC/61.0g AA-2230/WLRP/Win Brass/2014

These loads should be reduced at least 8% to start.   They have all proven to be very consistent performers in the guns used for their development.

Hope it helps,

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MT - thanks for the advice.  You are right that it would be a crime to put a break on the #1, I will look at adding wt to the stock, changing pads and if I have to do more to shoot it well I could magaport it without damaging the looks.  A shoulder pad helps too.

Marshall - thanks for those load recommendations, I will try a couple soon!

I have still not heard, is there a maximum velocity recommended for these cast bullets?  I assume they just lead more the faster you shoot them.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
MT

I hear you about braking the No.1.  I too have the .416 Rigby in a No.1 and shooting a 325 gr. X bullet at 2900 fps, lets just say recoil is a might stiff.  As luck would have it, about three years after getting the rifle I developed bursidus in my shooting shoulder and shooting from prone or bench would bring tears to my eyes.  Sell it, I think not, but I decided if I was going to keep shooting, it had to be braked.  KDF put a slim-line brake on it and it doesn't look bad at all-fits the exact contour of the barrel band front sight.  Reduced the recoil to below .300 Wby levels too, and made shooting it fun again.  Now that the bursidus has mostly gone, I can tollerate about 10 rounds with the brake off and the thread protector on.  While the brake was not something I wanted to do, selling that rifle was completely out of the question.

Regarding Mag-Na-Porting.  I ported my .458 because I did not like the way the thing jumped up into the air at every shot.  Even with a firm grip the rifle would jump out of my hand when shooting from bench.  Porting, as far as I can tell did nothing to reduce felt recoil, but as to muzzle jump: GONE.  I can shoot that rifle from the bench now and not even hold on to the forend and it stays put on the rest.  When my son started having trouble with his 1895SS .45-70, we found out it was not the recoil, but the pop-in-the-chops at every shot that was tearing his head off.  Mag-Na-Port to the rescue again.  The pop-in-the-chops is gone and the kid starting shooting the rifle like he had been born with it in his hands, regardless of load.

By the way, the No. 1 with sights does not come with scope rings, even though it says they all do in their 1999 catalog.  I questioned Ruger about this when I bought my No.1 in .45-70 and believe it or not, they sent me a set of rings free.  Too bad they were high rings and I did not plan on scoping this rifle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Big Bore,

After I bought the #1, I had a chance to buy a Remington 700 416 from a friend I had sold it to at the gun shop. He fired it twice and I finshed the box, that was all the use it had. The price was too good to walk away from. This model has the kevlar stock and weighs about 8.5 pounds. You do notice it when you pull the trigger. At the same time I knew a fella that was working for Answer Products. He installed a brake on the Remington and I can shoot all the ammo I care to load without any fatigue.

The Remington is my modern gun and my Ruger is my classic gun. The best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
MT, sounds like my kind of reasoning!  I have 4 .45-70s, why on Earth does anyone need 4 .45-70s?  The Contender I can justify, I hunt with it, but the three rifles, kind of hard to explain (to my wife anyway) since I cannot hunt with rifles in my state.  Lets see now, the 1895SS, well, that's not really mine, I bought it for my son so it doesn't count, right?  The 1895G, I had to have a lever action rifle didn't I? Right?  Ruger No. 1, what can I say, can you ever have enough No. 1s?  Now, I KNOW you understand, but my wife just cannot get her mind around the reasoning.  It's an oldie, but a goodie: the reasoning around here usually goes something like this.  Why do you need another elephant gun?  I haven't seen any elephants lately?  See how good they work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts