Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a good bit of 45acp last weekend at the local private range, brought it home and was running it through my Dillon and noticed one didn't pick up a primer, looking closer I realized it had a small primer pocket. Never seen that before, has anyone else?

Federal is putting small primer pockets in 45acp now, weird right?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,799 Posts
Please reduce picture size (see "Photography Tips, especially post #13," in General Discussion forum Stickies) to fit the screen properly. Irritating to have to chase the thread back and forth to see contents.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
Have seen this before

That is the reason that I am very selective when picking up .45 ACP range brass. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
980 Posts
The only problem for 45 ACP small primed brass is for those that don't/won't inspect their brass. Just dump a bunch of brass in your progressive's hopper and you are bound to get "stuck" when a small primed case hits the priming station...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have aquired about half and half large and small primed .45 ACP cases. Haven't noticed any difference in accuracy or performance. Makes an extra step in the loading process, as you have to keep them sorted. I don't mind this at all. I usually use sorting those as a rainy/cold weather day project.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,453 Posts
I had heard that there was some small primer 45ACP but I've never seen any 'til now.

RJ

·
Registered
293 Posts
I pick up 45 brass at the range and discovered small pocket brass several years ago. I don't use a progressive, so handle each piece several times. The only problem I have encountered is that if the brass isn't held tightly in the shell holder the decapping pin kind of hangs up when you try to punch the spent primer. I haven't broken a decapping pin yet but I take a little more care on SP brass. Ive read reports of the small primers not giving good ignition but have experienced no problems.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,166 Posts
Likely due to the priming compound.
The small pockets are for "cleaner" emissions in enclosed shooting ranges, but have also come from the factory with some alternative priming compounds. The non lead-styphanate primers have a rather short shelf life, then ignition becomes erratic, to non-existent.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The small primer pockets are found in lead free loadings such as Winchester WinClean ammo. The headstamp is WIN NT.
Federal uses the small primer in some of their loads. Blaser .45 ACP ammo uses SPs. RWS sells brass with the small pocket.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I did my own test of large vs. small primed 45 ACP brass using identical loads in both. Too little difference to matter. I sized and deprimed approx. 200 small primed 45 ACP cases and the ones I had went through the process without any depriming problems (Blazer and Federal brass). Is there other small primed brass with smaller flash holes?

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Most of us who are not world class shooters won't notice any difference at all shooting the .45 ACP with small primers. The only problem comes with reloading especially with a progressive reloader in which case it's best to segregate the large from the small primer pocket brass and prime accordingly.
Interesting to note that Remington used to sell 7.62X39 Russian with small rifle primer pockets. Don't know if they still do but at the time, reloaders faced the same problem as pistol shooters because most other ammunition makers were using cases with large rifle primer pockets. Always best to check the brass and segregate to avoid having to pull a case from any reloader during a reloading session.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use a single stage RC press. Could care less if the pockets are large or small. I've been loading both for several years. Can't feel the difference in the shooting...

Bayou52

·
Registered
31 Posts
I picked up a good bit of 45acp last weekend at the local private range, brought it home and was running it through my Dillon and noticed one didn't pick up a primer, looking closer I realized it had a small primer pocket. Never seen that before, has anyone else?
I was scrounging through some collected brass I had and noted the same thing. The few cases I had said 45 AUTO, but also had 3 characters in some foreign language, either Hebrew or Cyrillic. I hadn't realized until then that any 45 ACP brass had small primers, but this post and all the responses seems to indicated there is a fair amount around.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Another one here who has both large and small primer .45 ACP brass. Do reload both but they are kept separately. The small primer ones are all range pickups.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I always just throw them out. It's not that there is anything wrong with them, I've just never come across any substantial amount, to make it worth buying small pistol primers, since nothing else I reload uses them either.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I have aquired about half and half large and small primed .45 ACP cases. Haven't noticed any difference in accuracy or performance. Makes an extra step in the loading process, as you have to keep them sorted. I don't mind this at all. I usually use sorting those as a rainy/cold weather day project.
There's no difference in performance. I sort mine before tumbling. A friend uses small primers, I only load large. So we swap brass regularly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts