Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never reloaded for .45acp until recently and having recently got into bullet casting of course I'm trying cast bullets. I have an original army 1911 that's in good shape and with Lee 452-200-RF bullets and 5 grains of unique it shoots well and cycles without a hiccup. I have bought three lyman moulds #'s 452488, 452389, and # 452460. I am having nightmares trying to get these bullets to cycle. the 452460 is the best of the three but still not good. I thought it was a problem with seating depth so I took a Lee Loader along to the range today and tried seating them different depths. I didn't hit the magic combination before running out of time.
The gun just won't cycle over half of them. Somtimes you can bump the gun closed on them and fire them.
What am I doing wrong??? :mad:
I know the easy ansewer is to just shoot the Lee bullets but I tend to get cranky and bullheaded when I'm not at least 10% smarter than my tools! :mad:

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
If you have an original army 1911, suspect that the ramp at the breech end of the barrel is not beveled wide enough to reliably feed your three Lyman bullets while the Lee with it's RF shape will. Check your barrel and see if the bevel is narrow or does it extend to almost the width of the chamber. Original GI 1911's were made for ball ammunition so a wide bevel was neither needed nor provided for. The popularity of bullseye shooting with semi-wadcutter bullets and sharp shoulders brought out the shortcoming of these GI barrels. Later commercial barrels have a wide bevel to eliminate this problem. You can make up some dummy rounds using the Lyman bullets and hand cycle them through your 1911 to verify whether your feed problem is caused by the rounds getting jammed at the bevel. If that's the problem, you can continue to use the Lee bullets exclusively, replace the barrel with one having a wider bevel, or have a gunsmith modify the existing barrel. Since I cannot examine your gun or reloads, hope I'm on the right track. :confused:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know next to nothing about the gun but it sure sounds like what you are saying makes sense. My cousin has a Kimber (?) and he's shot my reloads with the Lee bullets in it. I'll have to ask him try these other bullets in his gun. That would confirm your theory pretty quickly.
Thanks very much!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
After looking at the profiles of those Lyman bullets, I'd say that the 452389 is hopeless, the 452488 isn't much better and the 452460 might work. Dial-up warning, lots of pics.
http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

The 452630 works in my old Remington-Rand 1911A1, as it has a longer nose that helps it make the turn from the magazine to the chamber. It's got an original unmodified barrel.

Uncle Nick has a diagram at the end of this thread that shows how to seat .45 ACP bullets. You can go .005" long with cast bullets and every bit helps.
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=37882

Somewhere I read that semi-wadcutter bullets work better in a magazine with an early release. If you have more than one magazine, see if one releases earlier than the others.

Bye
Jack

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
You like SWC target bullets. All I can say is that length is the key. If they are going to work, then will probably work when the bullet is seated so that just a little of the full diameter band is ahead of the case mouth...call it 1/10 to 1/16th inch. Forget OAL, just seat as above.

I really prefer a taper crimp...not that they need the bullet pull, but it reduces the sharp edge of the case on deck...the rim of the fired case being extracted can catch on that sharp edge and be knocked off the extractor.

Old bullet designs...and you might find thay work better with the older long-lipped magazines (they had longer tapered feeding lips...the modern ones have short magazine lips that kind of suddenly stop at 1/2 length).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Lots of good information. I've got to work in some duck hunting and grouse and pheasant hunting and a little deer hunting in the next 4-6 weeks so the 45 acp will be on the shelf for awhile but I'll let you know how it works out with the old bullet designs.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
ribbonstone said:
. . . I really prefer a taper crimp...not that they need the bullet pull, but it reduces the sharp edge of the case on deck...the rim of the fired case being extracted can catch on that sharp edge and be knocked off the extractor.
Funny you should mention that. Had a similar problem with my SIG P220 .45 ACP. The ejected case would catch the casemouth of the case on deck and peel it back like the spout on a water pitcher. Then, the slide would pick up the case on deck but could not fully chamber it. Gave me fits until I increased the amount of taper crimp. Glad to have solved this problem before anything went "bump" in the night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts