Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen the bullet but sounds reasonable to me for modern .45 Colt lever guns.  What OAL will this load give you with the bullet seated to the crimping groove?  What shape is the nose (ie semi-wadcutter, truncated cone, ...).  Gas-check or plain base?

What gun will you use these in?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the answer back Mike. the gun is a new 92 winchester. the bevel base wadcutter with no gascheck,OAL with crimp groove is 1.565. I loaded a couple dummie rounds and they worked fine in lever action. One thing strange about this thunderhead is it's 452 below the crimp groove and 442 above it, I have used alot of this guys cast lead in 44-40, 30-30, 45colt and no leading . let me know what you think.                                                      

Smokeless Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the answer back Mike. the gun is a new 92 winchester. the bevel base wadcutter with no gascheck,OAL with crimp groove is 1.565. I loaded a couple dummie rounds and they worked fine in lever action. One thing strange about this thunderhead is it's 452 below the crimp groove and 442 above it, I have used alot of this guys cast lead in 44-40, 30-30, 45colt and no leading . let me know what you think.                                                      

Smokeless Jim

·
36,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It certainly does sound like a reasonable starting point.  A '92 is a good strong rifle.  I'd load up 4 or 5 and try them out.  Let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well guys, I loaded up some of these thunderheads and they shot fine. I did notice a little leading with 22.0 of H110, and no sign of excess pressure. Next batch I'll try 21.5g and check accuracy.

·
36,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leading in rifle throat or near muzzle?  If in the throat, you may not have enough pressure to obturate the bullet base and seal the bore.  If so.... reducing the load may make it worse.  Might be worth trying a half a grain higher as well.

Sounds like you are on the right track.  Good luck.  Gonna hunt with this rig?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The leading is in the throat , I will try 1/2 grain higher also. Mabye gas checks would help with leading. About deer hunting, looks like this may be  the answer to knocking a deer down for good. I have lost  some big bucks to other hunters.Thanks again Mike G      

Smokeless Jim

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The leading is the result of gas blow by. The bullets are too small, at .452. They should be .454, gas checked or not.
I have one of those delightful Winchester 92s in 45 Colt. And like all 45 Colts of my experience, they thrive at all velocities with bullets sized .454 and lead at most all velocities when sized .452.
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts