Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone happen to have a load for the S&W model 25, or 625, using bullets in the 325 to 345 grain range.  May not carry Ruger pressures, but for long range "plinking".

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
Looks to me like your goals are somewhat contradictory.  With that bullet weight in the .45 Colt it seems unlikely that you'll even break 1,000fps, without having the loads batter your poor Smith to death.  Slow them down enough and at some point they might not stablize too well and the trajectory will resemble a mortar, instead of a bullet.

The recoil from these big slugs might take some enjoyment out of the shooting session also.

Not sure what your definition of long range is, but I've found decent results in the 200-300 yard range with a common 255gr. SWC at around 1,000fps in my Bisley.  No fantastic group sizes to report, just shooting at big rocks.  I'm sure for the ultimate in accuracy a LFN would be the way to go.

One person's opinion... I've shot a Smith but don't own one and the same 1,000fps / 255gr. load was quite manageable, recoil-wise, to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For reference, I am going to sell my custom Reeder 5 shot.  But I am left with a couple thousand 335 grain w/gc. not practical to either melt or sell, and I really would like to shoot them at 600+ yards. This is my first model 25, actually 25-7, and I plan to carry it here in Alaska. My other load will be a Keith style 255 grain.  Thanks.  

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like those bullets need to go with your Reeder custom.  Many people have shot to the distances you are looking at with the 255 Keith bullets.  You should not load it to  the same levels as the Ruger single actions though.  You are looking to do something with your S&W it is/was not intended to do.

However, beat it loose if you want to, it's your gun.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nitesite -

It sounds like you need to buy my 45 Colt Redhawk and use it as a 335 gr. bullet disposer  :biggrin:

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
NiteSite,

When you refer to a "625," do your realize they are not the same as the S&W Model 25? The M625 is in .45 ACP, not .45 Long Colt. If you could load 325's or 345's in the ACP, which is doubtful, you'd never see 500 fps with any kind of safety.

I would strongly suggest listening to Mike and MS Hitman. As much as I love the S&W N-frame, heavy duty it is not in .45 LC form. Think 255's @ 1000 fps for longevity.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bill- There is (was) a 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. A friend of mine has one. Although I own a couple of them, S&Ws have never been my first choice, so I don't know all the particulars on them. Especially with all the "gun of the month" madness of a few years back.
NiteSite- since this is for a Smith, have you checked your C.O.L. against the short cylinder on the Smif? I'm concerned you may be restricted to sub 1000fps plinkers. I'll look into it though...--Bob

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Pourboy,

Thanks for the correction to my, shall we say, "cranial flatuation." When I responded it was under the notion that when most people refer to a Mountain Gun they call it just that. Since there have been several cartridge variations on that theme, I assumed NiteSite meant the M625-2. Well this is a perfect example of what happens when one assumes...

Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
May I interject here that S&W makes 45 Colt in blued steel and it's a Mod. 25, when they make the same revolver in stainless it becomes the Mod. 625.
I've got one stainless 625 and several Mod. 25s.
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts