Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for a gunsmith/ machinist to make the metal parts for an original rifle. It will have a pump action fed by a clip. I will utilize a handgun round in a rifle. The cartridge will be the 460 S&W Magnum. It will handle loads of the power range of a 45 colt to a mild 45 70 loads.

We would negotiate a trade. For example, we would give the first complete rifle, etc.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I respectfully submit that a 460S&W is a rifle round, in a pistol.

Unless you are talking handloaded ammunition, 460S&W rounds are way more than 45 Colt or mild 45/70 loads.

The combination of large case head and high working pressures have kept folks from making a semi-auto or pump gun in such a configuration. Lack of demand also plays a big part.

If you're willing to put up with that level of recoil and lack of range, in a pump gun, sounds like a 20-gauge with slugs is in order?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Repectfully

This is a custom configuration, I is build stronger than most pumps and their are 12 gauge pumps that have the same recoil as Elephant Guns. We intend to handload for it.

Saying one should go to a 20gauge is silly as that may be your idea but not owers, it is link saying you show not use a 458 win mag but instead use 12 gauge slugs to shoot Elepahant. Accuratcy and Range are totally different.

A rifle in a 460 S&W could be used for targets shooting at 1000 yd. like the 45 70. I do not see anyone using a shotgun slug at that distance. Apples and Oranges.

We are not expecting people to agree with our idea, we just want to do it!

Sincerely

Kevin

It is like a man bring in a gun to a gunsmith for a modification and the gunsmith saying it is not worth it. It is not his right to say - it is worth it to the customer and that is the final answer. The cost estimate may be to high or the gunsmith not willing but that is totally different.

I asked a gunsmith to put adjustable sights on a pistol that was shooting 3 foot to the right and a couple of feet low. One gunsmith said it was not worth it. Another said me would, when I first shot it at 70 yards it was right on. The gunsmith took in my info and corrected tha sights without firing it. He was a great sight person and knew what he was doing. The Copy of colt walker cap and ball revolver grouped within 3 inches at 70 yards and it was worth it to me to have it shoot dead on!

There are two kind of people the ones that say it is foolish to do and the ones that prove it can be done.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,926 Posts
Sounds like you need a scaled-up Remington 760 or 7600.

Don't know about 1,000 yards but hey someone has to try....

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Repectfully

This is a custom configuration, I is build stronger than most pumps and their are 12 gauge pumps that have the same recoil as Elephant Guns. We intend to handload for it.

Saying one should go to a 20gauge is silly as that may be your idea but not owers, it is link saying you show not use a 458 win mag but instead use 12 gauge slugs to shoot Elepahant. Accuratcy and Range are totally different.

A rifle in a 460 S&W could be used for targets shooting at 1000 yd. like the 45 70. I do not see anyone using a shotgun slug at that distance. Apples and Oranges.

We are not expecting people to agree with our idea, we just want to do it!

Sincerely

Kevin

It is like a man bring in a gun to a gunsmith for a modification and the gunsmith saying it is not worth it. It is not his right to say - it is worth it to the customer and that is the final answer. The cost estimate may be to high or the gunsmith not willing but that is totally different.

I asked a gunsmith to put adjustable sights on a pistol that was shooting 3 foot to the right and a couple of feet low. One gunsmith said it was not worth it. Another said me would, when I first shot it at 70 yards it was right on. The gunsmith took in my info and corrected tha sights without firing it. He was a great sight person and knew what he was doing. The Copy of colt walker cap and ball revolver grouped within 3 inches at 70 yards and it was worth it to me to have it shoot dead on!

There are two kind of people the ones that say it is foolish to do and the ones that prove it can be done.
For the record, I did not say what you're looking to do is foolish, and I have fired a rifle chambered in 460S&W. It was a Ruger #1 and recoil wasn't really all that bad, but they weren't full-house loads, either. To build a special-purpose pump rifle for this cartridge is a little odd, but I have been accused of such, myself. Still, if it were me, I think I'd settle for an existing pump rifle, chambered in something like 35 Whelen.

What are the virtues of a pump action that encourages you to build a 460S&W in a pump? Do you want a lot of bullet and high rate of fire? For the money it will cost you to have a custom pump gun built in 460S&W, you could undoubtedly get a semi-auto in 50 Beowulf, 450BM or 458 SOCOM. There are often lots of different ways of achieving an objective. I hope you find a way to achieve yours. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts